Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

PC lighting

I think I know what I want in some new lights for my tank, 36inch 2x96 PC lighting, with fans, leg stands, need a cover to protect bulbs from water and would prefer moonlights. Is there any brand that I should stay away from? I want to try and keep it around $200. I was thinking the Satelite brand. The corallife brand says to use their light over a glass canopy. I have eggcrate covering my tank instead of a glass canopy, and it is really messing up my regular lights, should I change back to glass when I get the PC lights? This is a christmas present to myself

Old 12-04-2004, 02:07 AM   #2

I run my aqualight over open water. Thats just coralife protecting itself from liability.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Same here, I run my coralife over open water and the intensity is excellent on my 33 gal. Also the 2x96W which is PLENTY of light!! You may have to clean the glass under the light now and then if you have any bubbles (salt deposits) or very brave snails like I have leaving trails on the light (I presume at night since it would be way to hot when its on...)!!

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have the satellite. while the lighting itself is excellent, i wouldn't recommend it. the fan is really noisy. in fact, that is the noisiest thing in my system. its a bit annoying! i have heard that the coralife is much quieter.

btw, i run my lights over plexiglass and it is still very bright.
2ea Maxi-Jet 1200 & 2ea Maxi-Jet 900 PH
Captive Purity Refractometer w/Calibrator
LCD Digital 250 W Titanium Heater
48in Coralife 4x65 watt PC
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
Approx. 200lbs Sand (3-4" DSB)
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Please feel free to advise me!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run my Coralife fixute with the legs on, over open water. Much better light penetration that way and my corals love me for it.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #6

I sell both Current USA and coralife. I would stick with coralife. I have less reported problems with coralife. Plus Current USA does not even have a phone number to call if you have problems!! Coralife will take care of any problems ASAP. Just some useful info that may help you decide.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Get the new Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2 blue led's). You can also get the legs for it and run it over an open top. Captivereefs sells them and offers AA members a 6% discount
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coralife is definitely a good brand. I run the retro 4x65w plus 2 MH 250w about 12 inches above the water. Like Darin said, they have to protect themselves from liability.

Nice Christmas present!

Mike
Old 12-04-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like corallife is the hands down fav
Old 12-04-2004, 07:27 PM   #10

You will be happy withthat decision!

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com