Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
PC lighting....

So I was not happy with the new lighting I got, so I ordered a different PC light. I just got it, it's the Coralife 4X65 W with moon lights for my 55. My question is this.....how come it makes the water look green? Does 03 actinics + 10K bulbs = green? Any way I can change bulbs to make the light more white or blue? I've asked this question before, but didn't really get the response I was looking for. BTW, the light before had 12K and 03 actinics and it REALLY looked green! So it's definately better.

Also, the moon lights are much better on this fixture.....looks great.

Also, I tried to put my NO lights up there with it, doesn't really fit but does make the water look a tad less green.

Dr.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't know what to tell you...I run a single actinic03 and 10,000 96watter's over my tank, and it's not remotely green.

to me it sounds more like your water has free floating green algae...however I'm only familiar with that in FW tanks, not SW.

I should clarify this: I am NOT using a coralife fixture, or coralife bulbs...just bulbs that 'should' be similar to yours.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the exact same lighting as you, mine looks clear/blue, really nice. It is weird that yours look green, maybe there's something wrong with the bulbs, give the company a call and see what they have to say...
gilraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the same lighting, just retro fit... and DIY moonlights. My tank looks AWESOME. Not sure why you didn't have luck.
RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well. I did call hellolights......very, very friendly guy. He agreed with the above, he's never had anyone tell him they looked green. He told me to let my eyes adjust to it because coloring is very subjective. We'll see. I guess I'm just comparing it to my 36W NO light that came with my tank that looks very crisp and white. I wish I knew the Kelvin rating of that bulb! I'd get one of the same rating, but it doesn't say on there....just says phillips 36W bulb. It's the bulb that came with the tank....it's an oceanic tank. Any guesses on the Kelvin rating of this bulb?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
do you change your water often? Sometimnes old water is yellow tinted by organics and can affect the color of the light. Yellow and blue make green. Try and run some carbon for a few days.
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I do 20% changes every two weeks and always run carbon but haven't replaced it in awhile.....will try that. Maybe I'll post a pic on here of my tank if I can figure out how to do it and you can all judge for yourselves.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, here are some pictures (I know, not the best) but you can decide for yourself which looks the best and then offer any suggestions why you think the PC's make the water look green. Any feedback would be appreciated!

PC only:

PC and NO together:

NO only:

I've never posted pics before, so I hope it works![/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Well it looks like the PC/NO is the best look for sure...

Too green. Call the guy back again!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure but it looks like your tanks in the middle of the room, right? How does it look at night with less daylight in the room? Try putting something against the back temporarily and see if you have the same problem. Sometimes shadows and reflections can make things look funny. Do you use u/v to clarify the tank, after i bought mine the tank clarity was unbelievable. The u/v gets rid of bacteria and free floating algae as well as parasites in the water.

38 Gal Freshwater - Livebearer
Whisper 5 HOB
UGF w/ 2 reverse flow Aquaclr 402 powerheads
Turbo-Twist 6x UV sterilizer 18W bulb
18 Watt Triton bulb

10 Gal Freshwater QT tank
3 Gal Fry tank

90 Gal Saltwater tank(coming soon)
cougaran is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com