Penguin 170 Bio Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmg996

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 30 gal high has a penguin bio wheel 170, is this a good filter? Im getting a summer job and could buy a aquaclear or something else, but i dont want a mini cycle to happen!! Any help would be appreciated! :thanks:

tmg996 said:
My 30 gal high has a penguin bio wheel 170, is this a good filter? Im getting a summer job and could buy a aquaclear or something else, but i dont want a mini cycle to happen!! Any help would be appreciated! :thanks:

I'd suggest the AC50 if you're looking to upgrade. As for a mini cycle, just take any media from the pengie and put it in the AC50, or better yet run both for a couple weeks till the AC seeds.

I'd suggest the AC50 if you're looking to upgrade. As for a mini cycle, just take any media from the pengie and put it in the AC50, or better yet run both for a couple weeks till the AC seeds.

+1 on what MR. Limpet said,
AquaClear filters are an upgrade to the Penguins.
Although I ran a Penguin 170 for a few years and never had any problems with it.

Dennis

I will probably get a AC 50 in a few weeks once the tanks fully cycled and got cash flowing. Ive heard with the AC's carbon is unnecessary and could be replaced with a second sponge or more bio balls, is this true and recommended?

I will probably get a AC 50 in a few weeks once the tanks fully cycled and got cash flowing. Ive heard with the AC's carbon is unnecessary and could be replaced with a second sponge or more bio balls, is this true and recommended?

I save my carbon for clearing meds and use poly-fil in the middle position.

Once my tank is cycled, i will get that filter and all that good stuff. For stocking i need a little help. I was told by my LFS that a 30 high could contain a angelfish is this true?

Hi tmg996,
I also recommend putting the carbon aside and using another sponge or other filter media that can house "biological bacteria".

As for an Angelfish is a 30 gallon high......I'd save up and try to locate a pair of Angel's. A pair would be very happy in a 30 high.

Dennis

My LFS has tons on Angelfish, i dont know much about Angelfish so i thought one would be good, i am getting other fish to make a community tank, not sure on what im getting though!:rolleyes: If i do get a pair, could i still have a nice community, and should i buy them as adults or as small babies? LFS has both readily available

Hi tmg996,
My suggestion might of been not so good considering you're going for a community tank. Angel's are Cichlids and can get pretty mean especially If you get a pair that spawns. My last go with Angel's was a tank dedicated to Angel's and nothing else.
I'd suggest reading up on compatible fish for Angelfish and choose accordingly. I'd definately stay away from the smaller fish like Tetra's because big Angel's will eventually eat them.

As for buying big or small.........I really enjoy buying small ones and watching them grow. But It is alot of work growing out little ones.....lottsa good food & lottsa water changes!

Dennis

For tank makes i was looking into the larger tetras such as Columbians, white skirts, and cardinals. I was also looking at cherry barbs. I have my heart set on this bristlenose pleco! Ive always heard angels can eat neons, in my first tank i had 2 full grown angels and a school of 10 neons, nothing ever happened! guess it depends on the fish huh?

For tank makes i was looking into the larger tetras such as Columbians, white skirts, and cardinals. I was also looking at cherry barbs. I have my heart set on this bristlenose pleco! Ive always heard angels can eat neons, in my first tank i had 2 full grown angels and a school of 10 neons, nothing ever happened! guess it depends on the fish huh?

Cool!
I guess it does depend on the fish. If you do choose the smaller fish just make sure to feed the big ones well......or the little ones might be a snack.
I also like Bristle Nose Pleco's alot!

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom