Penguin 300 & HOT Magnum media combinations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmidty169

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Penguin 300 and a HOT Magnum filter in a 55 Gal fresh water tank. I try to do water change once a week up to two week max. I usually wash the type C filter in the syphoned water and change it every two months. I have been running carbon in the Magnum.

I have been trying to figure out the best set up. I've read a lot that you don't need a lot of carbon in the system and it doesn't last long so it gets expensive. The Penguin type C filter has the carbon media in it so that will be changed regularly. I was thinking I don't need the carbon in the Magnum, but not sure what other media would be good to run. I was also thinking of using the media bin in the Penguin but again not sure what to use. The water balance has been fine and clarity hasn't been an issue. I tend to get matter in the filters regualry. My pelco loves to kick up gunk which is fine as it sends it into the filters. Thus why I was thinking of running some extra media in the bin to catch the particles being sucked up into the Penguin.

If it matters I have the a Pleco, a Gourami, a dwarf Gourami, 2 Tetra Neons, a Guppie, a snail, and a Striped Barb.

Back
Top Bottom