Penguin 360 Filter/ Floating stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandi0321

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

Quick question...I have had my 55 gal up and running for about 3 weeks now. It's fully cycled and I've added my 2 elderly neons, my pleco, and 7 various tetras. I think my filter is the Penguin 360, it hangs on the back and has two biowheels and filters. My problem is that there is (for lack of a nicer word) pleco poop that floats around freely in the tank.

Shouldn't that be sucked up in the filter??? Should I put additional filter material in the media baskets? Do I have the filters the wrong way (blue side to the wall)?

Any help would sure be appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Mandi

That filter is a little undersized for a 55-gal - it will have trouble moving the water enough to trap that poop. Plecos are really prolific waste producers, so you might want to consider additional filtration, like a canister filter.

I don't know if your filter has this feature but on some you can adjust the flow of the filter by raising and lowering the intake tube, and maybe yours is raised up a bit, reducing the flow, so make sure it is pushed down all the way. That is a remote possibility, but worth a try.

Thanks Tankgirl!

Everything seems to be circulating pretty well. Do you think that putting some extra media in the media baskets will help? Should I buy another Penguin? What exactly is a canister?

Sorry for all the questions...This is the biggest tank I've ever had and I'm still really new at everything!!! :D

Go to bigalsonline.com and click on filters, then click on canister filters. These are external filters that sit in the cabinet underneath the tank, or beside the stand, and an has an intake and outflow hose that connects to the tank. They move a lot of water, and are appropriate for larger tanks. You could also get a larger AquaClear filter if you prefer the hang-on type filter.

I am running a Filstar XP3 canister on my 55, but if you could get away with an XP2 if you don't have a heavy fish load. For my money these are the best price performers. I also have an Eheim canister filter for another tank, and I would probably use them exclusively if money was no object.

I don't think the Penguin has enough power to manage the waste you are seeing, and unless your filter cartridges are very clogged there is not much you can do about it currently. Check your cartridges, though, and rinse them out in dechlorinated water if they are clogged.

i think its okay by the amount of fish in the tank... could use more but still. i may be wrong though

Thanks for the info!! The filter cartridges are pretty much brand new so they are fairly clean (I've understood that a little bit of brown on them is actually good). I'll try the other filter.

Also, I have a bubble tube in the back of the tank...could that be messing with the filtration???

The bubble tube should not be messing with the filtration. I second the call for a large filter! Once the tank cycles, it would be okay to add more fish.

Back
Top Bottom