Penguin bio-wheel 150 problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had this filter for years now and it's done fine, but after I turned it off and on after a water change, the bio wheel stopped spinning. Is there something wrong with the filter? Could it be from age? I've had this happen a few times before but it always started spinning again.

Is it time to upgrade to a new filter? If so, what kind should I get that is similar to size of the penguin bio wheel 150, and will do adequate filtration for a 26 gallon bow front tank. Thanks !!

I have the same filter on my 26 gal. bowfront. The biowheel stops from time to time. I take it off and rinse it in aquarium water during a water change. Clean the "slits" that the biowheel sits in at the same time. Just to warn you, it may make noise after you do this...

Which is why I am changing to a Aquaclear 50....

Good luck!:)

Valina

I have the same filter on my 26 gal. bowfront. The biowheel stops from time to time. I take it off and rinse it in aquarium water during a water change. Clean the "slits" that the biowheel sits in at the same time. Just to warn you, it may make noise after you do this...

Which is why I am changing to a Aquaclear 50....

Good luck!:)

Valina

I might try out a new filter to! Atleast this problem just isn't happening to me though.

I've had this filter for years now and it's done fine, but after I turned it off and on after a water change, the bio wheel stopped spinning. Is there something wrong with the filter? Could it be from age? I've had this happen a few times before but it always started spinning again.

Is it time to upgrade to a new filter? If so, what kind should I get that is similar to size of the penguin bio wheel 150, and will do adequate filtration for a 26 gallon bow front tank. Thanks !![/QUOTE
The problem is probably the bearings that the bio-wheels ride on. Look at them to see if they are worn where the axel sets in the bearing. I have had this issue in the past. New bearings should cure the problem.

The bio wheel still isn't spinning this morning. What should I do?

Have you cleaned your filter lately? The filter intake or filter may be dirty and causing less flow so your wheel isn't spinning.

Have you cleaned your filter lately? The filter intake or filter may be dirty and causing less flow so your wheel isn't spinning.

I cleaned the filter thorough about 2 weeks ago. The filter just stops working on occasion and my dad has to mess with it and hit it a few times to get it to work again. I feel like its from old age?

I have two Emp. 350 filters with the wheels, if I don't keep the spray clean ( the holes ) I notice the wheels slow down. You may be better off getting a new filter so you don't have to worry about it. One of my filters is over 9 years old and I should have a extra filter on hand, just in case. I keep putting it off. :)

First i personally have owned that filter and had the same problem, you don't have to get a whole new unit. You may be able to buy a new Biowheel at your local pet store. Although, a new unit has its benefits, you can get a new Biowheel for a tenth of the cost of a new unit.

I agree that you can get a new biowheel cheaper - but you lose alot of beneficial bacteria everytime you replace it.

Honestly, I would just get another filter (ex: Aquaclear 70) - that way, your bacteria can grow on the biomax insert. It is not mechanical, so you will be done with "that" problem! :lol:

Valina

I have Marineland filters on 3 tamks. yes it is cheeper to replace the bio filter. Yes you loose bb, however; just put the bio wheel in the tank until you new wheel builds up. If your tank is established the loss of bb will not make a difference to the tanks filtration.

It's on a 26 gallon, so if I upgraded to a aqua clear 30, would that be enough filtration? Or should I get an aqua clear 50? I just wanna get a new one and be done with it. The wheel still isn't spinning.

I would go with the 50,or even a 70 then if you upgrade size of tank you will have the filter for it. Put the filter at one end of the tank so the fish have a calm area.

If your set on a new filter, the 30 will work but I have learned one size larger helps. On my 55 I'll be running a 90 gallon filter. Currently I'm running a 60.

On my 10 I run a 30 gallon filter.

On my 24 I run a 60 gallon filter.

That is my two cents.

soak the wheel in the tank over night than try it if parts dry out they don't spin right
also could put small pieces of wax paper around the nipples to help it spin freely
also clean out intake propeller if it clogs the flow slows a lot

I'm thinking about just getting the 30, I don't have the cash for a bigger filter, I'm currently trying to upgrade to a salter water tank. I dont plan on upgrading my freshwater tank anytime soon. And wanna save up for a 60 gal cube with LEDs. My lfs has one in and it looks great!

I just ordered the AC 30 for my 10 gal...

I have a AC 50 sitting right behind me about to get returned for a AC 70 for my 26 gal...

I have to say that MORE filter is better than less...

There are all kinds of opinions! :)

Is there a big price difference between the 30 and the 50?

Back
Top Bottom