Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Penguin Bio-Wheel: Maintenance?

I have a Penguin HOB filter w/bio-wheel on my 20 gallon tank. I was wondering what maintenence is necessary for it to continue to work well, other than replacing the carbon every month or so.
Anything I else I need to be concerned with?
Thanks!

Old 02-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You don't even need to replace the carbon.

After I have rinsed and washed and scrubbed a filter cartridge over and over until the blue floss is falling apart, I tear the floss off and cut a new piece of bulk floss and attach it to the frame with a couple rubber bands.

At the same time, I dump oot the carbon that I don't need or want in my filter.

I don't buy new replacement cartridges anymore.

You will most likely never need to change the biowheel.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't replace the filter cartridges either. Just a good ol' scrub down till they fall apart!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Interesting...
How often do you scrub them?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I scrub them when they get so clogged that water begins to overflow and bypass the filter cartridge.

Although many people suggest rinsing them in tank water to preserve the beneficial bacteria, I prefer to hit them hard with the kitchen sink sprayer to get them very clean. I spray them and rub them gently with my fingers until no more brown gunk flows out.

To preserve the beneficial bacteria, I only do this with one filter cartridge on any given day. With biowheel filters, there is so much biological filtration going on in the biowheel that the risk of a mini cycle is pretty low.

Because all of my tanks with Penguin/Emperor filters have either two (or more) filters or have a large filter with dual cartridges, I can ensure the survival of my beneficial bacteria by always leaving one cartridge uncleaned at any given time.

I buy the bulk filter floss material and my cost for a "new" filter is less than $1
Old 02-14-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
how good of a job does a bio wheel actually do? I have thought about purchasing a HOb with a bio wheel in it and was wondering how they performed and how maintence wason them
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I greatly prefer my Aqua Clear 110 over my Emperor 400's, but I do like the emperors, especially since I stopped buying expensive replacement filter cartridges and began rebuilding them myself with inexpensive bulk filter media.

I do think the biowheel does a great job because it provides a lot of surface area and exposure to the atmospheric oxygen for very efficient biofiltration.

Now if I could buy an aquaclear with a biowheel, then I would be in HOB filter heaven.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Does the actual 'biowheel' supposed to have carbon inside of it? Or is it supposed to be hollow? I thought it was intended to house carbon? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is no carbon inside the biowheel.

The biowheel is a very lightweight plastic wheel with a lot of media around it in an accordion fashion. This media provides a lot of surface area for the beneficial bacteria in your filter.

Because it spins with water flow, it gets exposed to the atmosphere, providing much more oxygen to the bacteria than is available under water. I think they are very good, but they are not the only filter on the block with excellent biological filtration. They are the only filter on the block with a neat wheel you can watch spin, so the wheel is also a great marketing gimmick (except that it is not a gimmick if it works).
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do you get the biowheel started? My box didnt come with instructions and when I plug it in it just makes a grinding noise and doesn't pump any water (even though I've filled the compartment with water already)? Help!

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, eel, maintenance, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com