Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't change mine often, but rinse them bi-weekly to weekly.

I order mine online in larger quantities and can always find a good price on them somewhere.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Someone needs to do a DIY project for refillable cartridges for filters like these!

Old 06-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
How much are you feeding and how often are you changing? 8O I have Emperors (the Penguin's big brother) and I rarely have to change the filters. I have only changed the filter in my 10 gallon tank once in the past 4 months that it's been set up. I only change the cartridges in the Emperors when they start to clog.
wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
i am purchasing a Penguin 100B for my ten gallon, and i'm just moving the bio-wheel and the media over from the eclipse3 that i have.....its very easy, the only problem though is the cartridges are expensive....but i'm just going to go online and buy bulk from now on to save money
Old 06-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, they are cheaper in bulk and I buy in bulk also, but what is the reason you people are changing your filters so often that it becomes expensive? Do you really need to change that much? What's clogging your filters? Is your food just getting sucked into the filter? I don't get it?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
like....i dont change mine much....but just to compare prices.....like a whisper cartridge costs 2 dollars cheaper then a penguin cartridge....knowing that im going to have my tanks for a while i like to buy a bunch of them so i'm set for a year or two and any extra if things come up....just a pre-caution
Old 06-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, a 16 pack at www.ForYourFish.com is $34.95 or $2.18 per filter. A 12 pack of Whipser filters (I'm assuming Model 4 or 5) is $19.95 or $1.66 per filter. That's a difference of $0.52 per filter. If I change my filters about once every three months, that's a difference of $2.08/year. If you consider the fact that I've got 2 Emperor 400's and an Emperor 280, that brings the difference to only $10.40 per year. So if my filters last for 10 years, that's $104 difference. BIG DEAL!!! The difference is even less when you consider the Penguin filters which are about $0.10/filter cheaper than the Emperor filters. Why do I only change them once every 3 months? That's when they clog. There are two pathways for the water to go in the 400, so with 2 of them on the tank, I change 1 filter every month on the first of the month on a rotating basis. The carbon is essentially a useless element in the tank since (as mentioned before on this board) it only remains active for a short time. The real important part of the cartridge is that floss on the front. Bacteria live there. THAT is the real filter. Some others have suggested rinsing the cartridges, but unless you rinse with dechlorinated water, you'll kill the bacteria. For the difference of only $2.08/year, I'd rather have the bio-wheel that you get on the Marineland Penguin and Emperor. I'm not saying that the Whispers are bad, I just know that my tanks are very low maintenance and that's due to the filters. On a side note, yes, I'm planted and CO2 is a concern, but the small amount of agitation by the bio-wheel is not enough to deplete my tank of CO2. The fact that I might have to inject a little more CO2 is not important when compared to the benefits the Bio-Wheel provides. But as always, that's JMO...
Old 06-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I'm sure there are other cheaper places to get the filters online than the one listed above. If you watch PetCo or PetSmart online, you can get really good discounts sometimes. I got a 30% off coupon for an online order recently so I took that opportunity to restock on my filters.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
It would be interesting to see how much CO2 you are losing to your bio-wheels wabyrd.. From past experiments talked about on this board, 60% loss was typical.. pressurized helps to counter that but alot of members are using DIY and that can really take a bite out of there CO2 production.. ouch!...
Old 06-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
From past experiments talked about on this board, 60% loss was typical
Possibly, but I'm hesitant to take "scientific" data from a source that is non scientifiic. Not only that, but the methods of measuring CO2 indirectly from other measurements is not entirely accurate. Besides, my 5# tank lasts for more than a year and is relatively inexpensive to replace, but that's another topic.

Tags
filter, filters, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com