Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Penguin Filters

I'm currently running two penguin filters with the biowheels in a 20 and 10 gallon respectively. I'm pleased with the water clarity and the filter's performance. However, the cost of replacing the cartridges is too expensive. Has anyone used anything other than the Penguin cartridges in these filters such as sponges?? There is not a whole lot of room in the smaller Penguins for filter media. Any suggestions??

Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been using a Penguin100 for about 3 months now. I clean the blue filter as needed, but I don't see a need anytime soon to replace it. You could try and cut down a piece of sponge, but it may be more work than it's worth. Basically, anything thin enough and long enough to fit in the existing slot should do. Just know that you'll lose your carbon (or whatever they put inside) filtration. Shouldn't be a big deal IMO.

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

About a month after inserting new cartridge, I make a small slit in the black plastic mesh with an exacto knife and shake out the carbon. I figure that by this time, it is saturated and can only do more harm than good. I don't see the need to run carbon in my filters all the time anyway, but I suppose you could stuff fresh carbon, (or even some filter floss) into the empty cavity.

When I do my weekly water changes, I rinse off the blue fiber pad. I replace the cartridge only when it starts wearing thin and falling apart. About once a month, I clean the gunk out of the impeller and its housing. I never touch the biowheel - only make sure it's seated properly.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
Replace them with an AquaClear and you will have enough room to do anything you want with the media and the media for that AC's fairly priced.

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
well i have an aquaclear 10 goin on my 5. its a lil sdtrong but the media cartrages are different if all of them are shaped like that.

i have around 6 penguin cartrages and 2 penguins. about once a month o go outside and clean all of them with the hose.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I have around 6 penguin cartrages and 2 penguins. about once a month o go outside and clean all of them with the hose.
I definintely wouldn't do it with hose water. The chlorine in the water will instantly kill off your beneficial bacteria residing on the surface of the cartridge. You need to clean in old tank water or any dechlorinated water.

Save your money on replacing those cartridges. The carbon becomes inactive after 7 days and IMO, the only time you need to replace it is when you are trying to remove meds from your tank. Or when you have cleaned it so many times that it is still getting clogged.

I"m assuming yours has the bio-wheel on it too. I would suggest you replace all of them with sponges. It will be easier to clean and you will save tons of money.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh i have well water so i dont have any chlorine
Old 06-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ohhh ok. I wish I had well water.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

sometimes i wished i was in a big city so i could walk to the fish store
Old 06-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I (like many others) don't change my filter cartridges for a very long time. Wait until they are clogged completely, or fall apart.

Tags
filter, filters, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com