Penguin User's Filter Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmurphy171

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found out over the weekend (I'm slow I know :lol: ) that Marineland makes filter frames and pads so you can "roll your own". I ordered a few and they arrived today. The frame and pads are thicker then the throw aways. You use two pads and sandwich any media you use in between them. The pads appear to be able to last a long time. The frames were $2.79us each and a pack of ten pads are 3.69us so it should work out to be cheeper using these as opposed the ready make throw aways. The only thing thats a little weird is the filter frame butts right up against the media baskets forcing all the water thru the media basket unlike the throw aways where there is a half inch gap between the pad and the media basket.

Has anyone used these?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give that a try too (as opposed to the DIY methods)

I haven't put them in the filter yet. It 'seems' simply enough. The frame snaps open and you place the pads inside the frame then snap closed. I intend to use the pads without media in the middle. When I use them I'll put up a post on my experence.

To follow up on this thread. Two weeks ago I replaced my standard throw away penguin filters with the filter frames and pads. I placed two pads in each frame with no media. The water has remained clear. I swish the frame/pad combo in used tank water during water changes and put the unit back in the filter. I wonder how long they will last?

The only difference I noticed is a slight increase in backflow possibility caused by the increased thickness of the pads.

It seems to be a cheap, efficient way to go for Penguin 330 users.

Back
Top Bottom