Petco 1/2 price 55g take a look why!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've worked in plastic plants most of my work life. I wanted to point this out to everyone! See pic! flaw in the plastic. When this middle bracket was made the material did not bound like it should have. Usually the material gets to hot or not hot enough when it injects into the mold of the press. Which means they ran the press too slow or too fast. This is a weak spot in the bracket!!! Instead of recycling the product, or just wasn't caught before it was put on the tank. They still make the money on them, but they discount them to make the money. Cause it cost them more to disassemble the product. Everyone needs to know about this before they get one. It can last, but when heat from lamps or light bars heat this middle bracket up over time it will break. Hope a lot of people check this out. And hope it helps understand what that mark is on the center bracket. This is why they break! 20180331_142837.jpg20180331_142856.jpg

And just to add to this. It's the same on the bottom frame too.20180331_155611.jpg I'm taking mine back to get a new one.

Thanks Angel. A frame break equals flooded living room. Not good.

Don't buy it then.. you are allowed to fully inspect the tanks in store and also return them. Find a better deal elsewhere?? Nope...

Don't buy it then.. you are allowed to fully inspect the tanks in store and also return them. Find a better deal elsewhere?? Nope...
Yes! This is why I posted this. This is my mistake. I looked more for cracks in the glass and didn't even think to look at the middle bracket. I seen it when we unloaded it. This tank was the last one that day. And the sale was ending. And I didn't load it in the truck the worker did. I just wanted everyone else to know about this is all.

I just got back with the new tank, took the other one back. The new one is a straight bracket, And thicker. I'll post a pic of the difference tomorrow.

Good info IMO.
So that seam would like a " cold joint " and the weakest spot due to improper manufacturing ?
Interesting . I always appreciate info from a pro in the field. I know little about plastics so not sure if I even noticed that it would have clearly been a defect in eyes before this thread.

Good info IMO.
So that seam would like a " cold joint " and the weakest spot due to improper manufacturing ?
Interesting . I always appreciate info from a pro in the field. I know little about plastics so not sure if I even noticed that it would have clearly been a defect in eyes before this thread.
Yes, when the plastic is melted to inject into the mold, sometimes the injection of the material will push out slow and cause areas in the mold to cool faster before it all can form to perfection. And if the injection is too fast, the areas will be over heated as well. I'd keep on eye on even the smaller tanks frames when getting these sales too. Mostly the corners. If you see any shinny areas I'd be careful. They are weak spots for sure.

I would be willing to bet this is not isolated to only sales..
I am sure these aquariums can be found all year.

I would be willing to bet this is not isolated to only sales..
I am sure these aquariums can be found all year.
Yeah, I'm sure they are. But, with the sales it just gets them gone faster, most people see a sale and eye browse raise and they run out and buy. Little do they know, it's a sale for a reason. Imo. But, anyways just something I thought was pretty important to address with everyone. If I didn't know! I know I'd what to. It's important to know things like this for our fish and thoughts of having to remodel cause of a poor quality tank. And of course buying another tank. Lol, you know. I'll throw a pic of the new tank. It's different. Better imo.

Here's the new tank pretty different. The other tank was a lot heavier. The bottom glass on the other one was thicker , but I feel better about this one. I'm sure anyone else would too.20180401_152415.jpg

how long is this going on was thinking a new 20 long for a coral grow out tank think it would be fun for my daughter . she keeps saying she wants a flower garden what better thing zoa;s .
it'll make me clean off the top of my fish supply closet as it looks horrible. maybe I'll stop by on way back from the drs

how long is this going on was thinking a new 20 long for a coral grow out tank think it would be fun for my daughter . she keeps saying she wants a flower garden what better thing zoa;s .
it'll make me clean off the top of my fish supply closet as it looks horrible. maybe I'll stop by on way back from the drs

I just read our local circular and it said valid April 1-28
Good for 10G, 20G 20L, and 29G
also said some stores and areas may not have it and to check your local stores.

Back
Top Bottom