Petco 'karma' wood stands..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought a karma stand for a 20 high aquarium for saltwater.. It seems pretty sturdy but do any of you have any experiance with them? Filling tanks on new stands kinda freaks me out

I'm not familiar with that stand but i have petsmart stands on my tanks. As already said, make sure all bolts & screws are tight, but don't overtighten screws that go into the stand (after all, its mainly sawdust and glue). Its important to make sure the tank is level on all 4 corners. This is much easier to do before your tank is filled.

Yeah its not full only substrate in there. If only i could put videos up. It just worries me im probably just over analizing this but better safe than sorry! Gotta tighten everything up and see what happens from there

image-2323123526.jpg

So its full and beginning the cycling process. Its leven but it moves back and forth when you walk by it or even touch it.. Any thoughts? I get really nervious with this stuff!

View attachment 170732

So its full and beginning the cycling process. Its leven but it moves back and forth when you walk by it or even touch it.. Any thoughts? I get really nervious with this stuff!

Something does not sound right! It should not be doing that. I think I just might be taking the stand back to PETCO. If that thing falls it is going to be a big mess. And most of all someone might get hurt. Just my two cents.

Hello Jacob,

I always buy stands that are meant for the next tank size up. For example, I have a 29g that sits on a stand that can support a 37g, 30g that can support a 45g, etc... I suggest you do the same as you worry about these things like I do.

It just helps me sleep better.

David

Take the water out, return the stand, get better stand and sleep better. That should NOT be doing that! I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks guys, i gave the stand to someone with a 20h dart frog terrarium. Much lighter i weight due to there being no water in it. Bought a cabinet that is holding it much better and wedged 2X4's in the cabinet for extra support. Couldnt be happier!

image-385056199.jpg

Its hard to see in this pic but its the only pic i have right now. Lookin much better

image-3342114789.jpg
And enjoy henry, our yellow watchman goby :)

Just to note - I have the "Karma" stand and it does the same thing. It's very sturdy, holds the weight well, and maintains level, but it does move. Obviously that's no good in a high-traffic area. Mine is against a wall though, so I used the straps that come with heavy furniture to attach it to the wall and keep it stable. Works like a charm.

Just freaks me out, Is yours a freshwater or salt? Because mine is a reef with lots of live rock its a bit heavier than i antisipated at first.. But this new stand doesnt budge so im happy! Lol
Thanks for everyones input

My petco sells like 4 species of fish and Carrys like 2 tanks where the heck do you live

They do market research and will stock accordingly. You must live in an area where the aquarium hobby isn't popular enough for them to carry their full line. Some will only have a few tanks of fish while others will have frag tanks, full assortment of freshwater, and up to 12 saltwater banks which consist of 3 30g tanks and a 40g sump per bank.

This is the reason I don't have 'stands' for my tanks. Most of them are cheap particle board anyway. I prefer a short desk or dresser. Anything with a low center of gravity and even still weighs a ton just by itself. Or you can build your own stand.

Back
Top Bottom