pH Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know exactly how to use (Arm & Hammer) baking soda for pH control in a 50 Gallon freshwater tropical fish aquarium. My pH now is 7.7. This I believe is a bit high! Any sound suggestion? :thanks:

Before you make any changes, is the ph stable? As long as it isn't fluctuating, there's really no need to change it, having a stable ph is the most important thing imo. What do u have in there?

Before you make any changes, is the ph stable? As long as it isn't fluctuating, there's really no need to change it, having a stable ph is the most important thing imo. What do u have in there?

i agree, i have a rather high ph of 8.2 and all of my fish do fine, just keep it stable and the fish wont mind a bit

I have 6 mollies and 5 tetras with 2 java ferns and 2 anubias nanas. Nitrates and nitrites, as well as ammonia are good. The pH is a constant 7.7, which I thought was on the high side. I have read it should be neutral at 7. Fish and plants are all doing well!

I have 6 mollies and 5 tetras with 2 java ferns and 2 anubias nanas. Nitrates and nitrites, as well as ammonia are good. The pH is a constant 7.7, which I thought was on the high side. I have read it should be neutral at 7. Fish and plants are all doing well!

well thats great! i wouldn't mess with it then. 7.7 is really not that high

PH problems

I guess I am fortunate. I have a 55 gal. tank with live plants. I can't seem to get my ph below 7.2-7.4. Fish are doing great. Do not have real sea shells in the tank! They look great but will raise PH. I use nutafin PH decrease but it doesn;t seem to really lower the PH. It is stable thou and that seems to be the key.

Back
Top Bottom