Ph meter or strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

numbo81chris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed while walking along the fish shop that they sell a ph meter, whereas I've always been told to use strips
What's the difference?
It also had a ammonia meter too
Hmm....

I'm not sure that the meters are but the liquid test kits are the most accurate. Something like the API Master Test Kit is recommended.

I noticed while walking along the fish shop that they sell a ph meter, whereas I've always been told to use strips
What's the difference?
It also had a ammonia meter too
Hmm....

Just like strips, those don't really work all that well. Use a liquid test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) and not only will you get a lot more tests out of it cost wise, it'll be much more accurate IME.

For the sake of clarification, is the OP talking about electronic dip-and-read meters (which I understand are expensive, but very accurate) or the stick-to-the-glass-on-the-inside color-changing "meters" (which I hear are useless)?

Also, in my experience, pH test strips are a complete waste of time and money. Go with a drop-type test. (Unless you can afford the electronic meters!)

glassbird said:
For the sake of clarification, is the OP talking about electronic dip-and-read meters (which I understand are expensive, but very accurate) or the stick-to-the-glass-on-the-inside color-changing "meters" (which I hear are useless)?

Also, in my experience, pH test strips are a complete waste of time and money. Go with a drop-type test. (Unless you can afford the electronic meters!)

Can't say I've seen the pricey elec. meters on LFS shelves, but see the suction cup pH meters too and they're more show than go.

Back
Top Bottom