PH Meter Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balance

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a PH meter in my tropical tank which controls the flow of CO2 which has been in place for about 3 months. I have it set to PH 7.5 and everything seems happy - however, in the last day the PH is showing as around 3 to 4.

I've tested the water today and the PH is somewhere between 7 and 8 (so pretty much where my water normally would be - definitely not in the 3 to 4 range). I've tried to recalibrate the meter using buffer solutions and for some reason the maximum I can dial into the meter is 7 and with the probe sitting in either solution the reading never settles - varing by around .5 to 1 PH seemingly at random.

To finally get to the point - I'm looking for advice as to where my problem might lie on the meter / probe and any tips for what I might be able to fix my problem.

Many thanks

Did you get the meter used? The pH probe is expendable and has to be replaced every 12-18 months or so to work accurately. While I wouldn't expect an overnight massive shift like you have, before scrapping the meter I would get a new probe. You can usually find them on eBay for pretty cheap.

It was purchased new but an ebay cheapie so I'll have a look for a new probe - I didn't realsie they "wear out".

Thanks

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Welcome to AA by the way!

Back
Top Bottom