Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question ph probes

I have to be missing something. A few months ago I bought a pinpoint monitor with a new probe from someone here on RC. I couldn't get it to calibrate. The member said he never calibrated the new probe to the unit, but stated it was brand new. So I thought maybe I just got a bad probe, ordered a new one from Marine depot. Same problem, so then I suspected it was the actual monitor itself. I bought an aqua controller jr. NOW with BOTH probe I STILL cannot calibrate either of them to either the pinpoint or the aqua controller. I use battery power with the pinpoint because i read that the ac unit could cause interference. I took both units as far away from electrical interferences as my house will allow. The aqua controller jr and the latest probe are both brand new bought from reputable online sources. The monitor and other probe, the monitor is definitely used and 99.99% sure the probe was brand new when the other member sent it to me. I must not be using the probes correctly or something. It really feels like when you get some new electronic device and there is that little plastic tab you have to remove for the battery to contact the device so it will start working. Or better yet, there is a plastic cover on the probe that i need to take off. It feels like there is something like that that is really obvious but I am missing it. Please Help.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA!

Is this what you have? Pinpoint pH Monitor | Monitors | Testing Equipment | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Was it shipped with the white plastic cover on the tip of the probe? I don't have this same probe, but my probe also came with a plastic cover. There was some salt build-up around it and that keeps it from drying out in shipment. I took off the plastic cover, rinsed the probe in some distilled water, calibrated it in the calibration fluid, rinsed it in distilled water again, and put it in my tank. If this doesn't help, maybe someone will come along that has this brand of probe and knows how to get it started.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I have the Pinpoint and it's exactly like you described. There was a soft plastic cover that had to be removed. Save it for storage should you ever need it. The probe needs to be replaced every 18 months or so. You'll know it when the readings are completely out of whack.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
pH probes are notorious for being incorrect... which is why calibrating them is a huge issue. Yes, it should have some sort of protection for the glass part of the probe that does the measuring, and always remember to rinse the probe in freshwater (if you are using it for sw) before you put it away.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes i did take the cap off. and When it was sitting out of the tank i put the cap back on with the fluid in it to keep it wet. still dont know whats going wrong..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
hmm... is the probe just not reading at all? or is it giving you really wacky readings?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

wacky readings. if i calibrate to the lowest possible setting on the pinpoint i can only get the 7.0 solution down to about 8.3. Not exactly the same with both probes. Then with the aquacontroller one stays around 12.0 and the other around 7.0 (but its the same even after i switch from 7.0 solution to 10.0, or even if i put it in 4.0 solution it stays about the same for all of them, may change a very little bit). Thanks for any more advice I can get.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Contact American Marine. The unit has a 2 year warranty.
American Marine Inc.
54 Danbury Road, Suite 172
Ridgefield, CT 06877 U.S.A.
Fax/Phone: 914-763-5367
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Don't they take a few hours to drop down to the correct pH?

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american marine, aquacontroler, pinpoint, probes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com