Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Philosophy on Filtration

I'd like to generate some discussion on filtration. It seems to me that all the biofiltration product designs are centered on degrading the organic material that your filter filters out. You change the physical filtration media periodically, but the rest of your filter's "catch" is supposed to be decomposed by the biological filtration part. And I'm doing that to the max with my filters. But I cannot help thinking I'm creating a cesspool in my filters by asking them to biodegrade so much that could be filtered and removed more easily than changing an expensive pad inside the filter.

Also, I've never heard any good, easy answers to the scum that always builds up on the top of the tank. I've read and participated in several threads on this and nobody seems to have the answer.

So I have a couple philosophical, but also very real questions:

1. Why not use a skimmer designed for a SW tank to skim the crud off the surface of our FW tanks? Is there some reason other than cost? I've seen fast flowing creeks with lots of foam and I would think it could work in a FW tank in a very similar way to a SW tank.

2. Why not design a filter that flows through a pre-filter that is easy to change instead of dumping all the particulate matter right into your canister filter, or power filter, or whatever it is? I've tried putting media bags as pre-filters over the intakes of my filters, but it seems crazy to have to reach your hand in and put a glass over the pre-filter to remove it without the junk falling back into the tank, etc. Why isn't there an easy design sold where the water is lifted and allowed to fall through an easily removable pre-filter before it goes into the main filter's media? You could remove and replace the prefilter in seconds and get rid of most of the particulate waste in your tank without loading down the main filter. This would remove an extreme amount of load that filters usually carry and would let you go far longer between filter cleanings.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
1- I don't know the exact technical terms, but basically fresh water does not have the surface tension to maintain the bubbles and form skimmate like sw does.

2- Personally, I don't use any type of prefilter or canister and anything else that would need to be cleaned. I go with the biological filtration (live rock) and skimmer.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think LR, LS and skimmers sound great for SW, but since they don't work for FW, there needs to be some other solution for that.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
there needs to be some other solution for that
What is the problem you are trying to solve?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

1. Removing scum on the surface of FW tanks
2. Reducing the frequency of filter media changes needed
3. Increasing the quality of the water
4. Reducing the amount of work to keep the tanks in top shape. I have 17 tanks and it takes a significant amount of time to keep them healthy. Savings of work would be helpful and make it a more pleasant hobby where I could concentrate more of my time on exciting things like breeding fish and trying out new tank configurations.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of scum do you have on the surface of your water? I can't say that I've ever had scum on any of my tanks.

What kind of media are you changing? The only thing that you really need to change would be filter floss.

If you add plants to your tank, it should help keep your nitrates at bay. I have to actually dose Nitrates in my 55 gal planted tank because the stock doesn't produce enough. Water changes are still necessary to remove the built up of excess nutrients and fish waste.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a greasy scum that always gets on the surface of FW tanks. There are threads on aquariumadvice.com discussing it that you can search on. I've read several of the threads and nobody has had a solution. My tanks are heavily planted. That doesn't fix anything. Media would be filterpads in Emperor filters, Filstar canisters, and Marineland canisters. I must admit that I don't do as much WC as people say is good. Right now, I'm rigging up an auto WC contraption on a 55 gal that will do 40%/day all by itself.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't help with the greasy scum since I haven't seen nor had it so I can't offer any advice there.

In my power and canister filters I use a filter sponge (which never has to be changed unless it falls apart, just cleaned), ceramic rings (also never has to be changed, just cleaned occasionally), and filter floss (I change at every filter cleaning, maybe every 2 months).

How often and at what percentage are you performing water changes? I do weekly 50 to 75% changes and don't have any issues with water quality or a scum. Maybe bump up your change schedule or percentage and see if it improves?

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm lucky to get weekly 20% WCs done, and sometimes a 50-90% WC on special occasions or for special purposes. With 17 tanks totaling 686 gallons, it's awfully hard to maintain a schedule like yours. That's why I'm looking for a more automated WC methodology. Fortunately, my water isn't chlorinated and I have small bio-loads in most of my tanks. Do you have a special way to efficiently perform WCs?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just use the Python. It takes maybe an hour to do all the water changes except the 150. That one my husband takes care of because it's on a different floor but it takes him about an hour to do that one, including the filter maintenance. I really hope you're not doing the bucket brigade with 686 gallons.

55 Gallon Community

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com