Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The thing is when you have an algae problem, nitrates and phosphates can be undetectable because they are being used up by the algae.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

How about placement or filter media bags? I have seachems phosban and chemi pure elite and purigen I had them in the section where the water flows in under the filter sock. I moved them to the return section right next to my mag drive where would be the best place to put them

Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try running your moonlights for only a couple hours instead of all the time. Bright moonlights can sometimes contribute to algae. Try cutting the amount of food you're giving your fish down to half.

Are you using bio-balls in the sump?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nope no bio balls I have an oceanic sump model 2 if u look at a picture of the sump the water comes. In through the wet dry section that I converted in to a filter sock holder and just use the removable wet dry section as a filter sock holder and where I normally place my filter media but I think I may thow some live rock in the chamber with it and moved my filter media to my return chamber
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know bio balls are a nitrite factory so I never filled the chamber up with bio balls instead of useing a pad where the water comes in I drilled a hole through the top where I can put my filter sock in and instead of using bio balls I just through my media under the filter sock.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaz41
I know bio balls are a nitrite factory so I never filled the chamber up with bio balls instead of useing a pad where the water comes in I drilled a hole through the top where I can put my filter sock in and instead of using bio balls I just through my media under the filter sock.
Nice mod! I bet it's pretty quiet with it setup like that.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes it's very quite. But what I want todo is remove the removable black box that I use to hold my filter sock and make the chamber where the water comes in smaller that it only holds a filter sock and then I want to silicon a new chamber where the water can overflow into a fuge then I want to add another chamber where the water overflow into my skimmer section and then have that spill into the bubble trap that is already there and then that flows under to my return section. That's the mod I really want to add and may add soon as I figure out what I can use to act as a sump while I do this mod to this oceanic sump witch the way I'm running it now and it's original design is horrible exp if I use the wet dry part the way it was designed....

Tags
reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com