Phosban Reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Did a little research on reactors with gfo, carbon, & purigen ran in them. Ive havent had a problem according to my API test with phosphates in a good while but not sure about silicates and what not. I still get a little hair algae and every now and again a reddish cyano/hair looking stuff. Just wondering what all the benefits are are running a reactor and with what media. I was looking at the 'two little fish' 150 model. What size pump would be good for 39 gallon tank with about a 20 gallon sump? I have a couple SPS frags im trying as well to have a mixed reef. Is it a smart investment?

Every tank is different. Best to find what works for you. Hair algae and cyno are an indication of excess nutrients in the water. This can be nitrates and/or phosphates. May not show up on tests as they are being absorbed by the algae/cyno.

Water changes can be effective in keeping these in check along with not over feeding. Running various media can help as well.

Only thing I currently run in reactor is bio pellets. They work for me but may not work for you.

Every tank is different. Best to find what works for you. Hair algae and cyno are an indication of excess nutrients in the water. This can be nitrates and/or phosphates. May not show up on tests as they are being absorbed by the algae/cyno.

Water changes can be effective in keeping these in check along with not over feeding. Running various media can help as well.

Only thing I currently run in reactor is bio pellets. They work for me but may not work for you.

Ok thanks. Makes since.

Ok so what size pump should i go for on a TLF 150 reactor? MJ600? Or bigger? Can it tumble too much?

Really depends on the media. some you want to tumble and some not at all. The reactor should have come with a valve on the input side to adjust the flow.

I want to run gfo. I read great reviews on BRS gfo but does anyone know how their reactors are? Is the Two little fishies 150 better? Any exp. very welcome!

I'm not sure which one I want Between the two little fishies and the bulk reef supply. The BRS looks to be made better but i dont know. I plan to run GFO with a maxi jet 600.

I use the dual reactor from brs. Great unit, but I wish I'd have gone with 2 single rather than the dual. The second chamber can struggle with flow and can make a mess with gfo needing to tumble and other media not wanting it to.

I use the dual reactor from brs. Great unit, but I wish I'd have gone with 2 single rather than the dual. The second chamber can struggle with flow and can make a mess with gfo needing to tumble and other media not wanting it to.

I read that too. I think im gonna go with the single from BRS

So I orderes a BFS single reactor, a cobalt mj600, and a pound of BRS GFO. I plan to just run the GFO, not with carbon. Any pointers or exp.? How much GFO for 39 gallon tank with 15-20gallon sump?

BRS has instructions with their GFO. I want to say they suggest a couple tablespoons to start with and you work your way up.

Ok cool. How long does the gfo usually last? I dont have a big phosphate problem. About 3 weeks I read somewhere. Is this correct?

I changed mine out monthly. Tbh, I hate gfo. It needs a low tumble that I could never get right. I tried out resins, but only last 15 days. I'm using phosban right now, which is still gfo but well see how it goes.

I changed mine out monthly. Tbh, I hate gfo. It needs a low tumble that I could never get right. I tried out resins, but only last 15 days. I'm using phosban right now, which is still gfo but well see how it goes.

Once a month would be great considering the price of GFO. What pump are you using on yours?

I have the tlf 150. It's been running or about 2 months. I really like it. You need to play with the valve to get it dialed in. I run phosban and have little tumbling. I use an ac30.

I think it is a rio something. I don't know what pump I'm running my dual reactor. Don't remember to be honest.

I read bad reviews in the dual reactor from BRS. Even they recommend 2 single reactors. It seems like a great idea but the flow usually gets restricted from the first reactor so people say. Which reactor is your gfo in? 1st or 2nd? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom