Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Phosban reactor plumbed inline with return pump?

Do any of you guys have your phosban reactor plumbed inline with your return pump?.. i have a powerful return pump for my tank size and i was thinking id like to take advantage of the extra power and avoid having another pump just for the reactor. please share how you have it and pics would be extra nice! lol

Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing I see working against you would be too quick of flow moving through the media. Media like GFO and phosban need very low flow, where it would create a rumble effect. Quick water movement will cause it to grind up and you will end up with fine particles in your water column. If you have a sump, just run a closed loop out of one of the chambers...

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea i was thinking the same but wouldnt a ball valve help?... what do you mean a clossed loop?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A ball valve would cut down the gph from the pump, yes, but now you're getting into a T in the return line and it seems like the water would take the easiest path back to the tank, which would essentially bypass that split altogether? Kinda confusing but makes sense in my twisted mind lol... Closed loop- basically means the water is pump fed, no gravity involved, no overflow, etc... for example in one of your chambers, just run a pump with a line going into the reactor, and then the return from the reactor right back into the same chamber, or I would imagine you could dump it in the next chamber if
you wanted. Some people even just put the reactor right in the sump.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea youre right, ill just get a really small pump and do that. ill avoid all the extra plumbing and everythig that way. thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

does it matter in what chamber? last, refugium?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably not the refugium so nothing will get sucked into the pump... You could probably do it off the last chamber, or first. The water is ending up where it came from so it's not like it's going to
be displacing anything. In terms of pumps, BRS recommends the MJ1200, which is only like $50 ish...maybe less I can't remember. It's good for reactors because the pump isn't designed to take on any head pressure.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

i was thinking a mag mini since it says the flow rate should be 30-50, think thats ok?.. im already gonna be running a mag 9.5 and a mag 5 for my skimmer so i wanna keep it as small as possible
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie
i was thinking a mag mini since it says the flow rate should be 30-50, think thats ok?.. im already gonna be running a mag 9.5 and a mag 5 for my skimmer so i wanna keep it as small as possible
I think that should be ok dude... Not familiar with that pump but the gph seems right on.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a powerful return pump and I have a branch off of my return that provides flow to two ball valves for my GFO and carbon. I get more than enough flow for both. I use a reef flow pump that is awesome though. I am considering adding a 3rd valve for an ATS. So if you have good flow it is very doable to t off and add valves to limit flow.

Tags
pump, reactor, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com