phosoban reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan24

Aquarium Advice Freak
i want to buy one for my 20gl but i don't know how to set them up. what kinda pump should i get and how would i hook it up to the tank?

I dont know, I would like to know as well so I will be watching this thread.

I bought a PO4 reactor from www.marinedepot.com and it cleared my cyano right up. Two Little Fishies makes one but they are kind of hard to find right now. I bought the new one that Kent Marine makes... works very well. I think I paid around $35 for it. You'll also need some 1/2" inner diameter tubing, Phos-ban or Rowa-phos, and a power head that pumps 80-90 gph thru it. I hooked mine up in series with my UV sterilizer so I only need one powerhead to run them both.

Like INdy says you use a low flow power head in the tank or sump to pump water through the reactor. The PBR comes with enough phosban to treat a 150 gallon tank so you may not need to order any PB at the same time up get the reactor. It also comes with a valve to control the water flow into the reactor, this way if you get a PH that is too large you can crank it down to the proper flow.
Very easy to hook up just follow instructions and make sure you drain off the first 1-2 gallons of water through the reactor.. It will be filled with PB particles and you do NOT want that in your tank.
The PBR is designed as a hang on the back unit so it will fit on most tanks or sumps by hanging or just standing up.
You want just enough water flowing through the unit to get a little movement of PB in the reactor. The top layer will rumble a little and that is good..
IMO worth the $37, I battled cyno on and off for a year and it took it away after a few months.
http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TL4311&ast=&key=
this is the new unit out now even easier then before...

they are a great investment. just monitor your PO4 levels. they will creep back up as your phosban media becomes cached. they cyano will come back and then it take some time for the new media to clear it up again. mine was about a month to totally clear it up, but it came back after some time. i replaced the media and it is on the decline again.

they are very easy to setup. i use the smallest maxijet. something around 100GPH and i turn the valve down untill the phosban media is slowly rolling

steve r

Back
Top Bottom