Phosphate reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help, I have a 55 gallon tank with a sump, protein skimmer, I bought off of CL the live rock was included. I scrubbed the rock but I didn't get all the alge off. My tank is beautiful everything is looking good except I had my phosphates tested at the fish store. The phosphates tested at 1.70. I was told I should get a reactor. I took the sock out of the sump and did a 15 gallon water change. I starred up the water with a turkey baster while siphoning out the water. Today (next day) I tested phosphates and it is still high. I don't have a lot of fish, don't over feed, one time a day and I only give a little bit of food at a time to make sure all food gets eaten. What should I do???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

10% water change every few days until they are low , then add a reactor , I had the same problem and since I added it , I've been getting really nice polyp extension

Run some GFO in a reactor and your phosphates will come down. Definitely keep up the water changes, and make sure you are using RODI water. If you are using tap or well water you might be adding the phosphates with your makeup water.

Thank you, last night we bought a reactor, I will do a few 10% water changes to. Also I figured out that my skimmer wasn't set up properly. Thanks to u tube. The people I bought the tank from told me to set it up wrong. Maybe that is partially why their tank was such a mess. I'm glad to hear a reactor is a good investment for my tank.

Attachments

• 1392738352685.jpg
    1392738352685.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 95
If everything is sparse, from feeding to stocking, there is a good chance you are bringing the phosphates in through your water source. What kind of water are you using to do you water changes and top off?

Yes I have it was at 0. I was told because the way the original owners took such bad care of the tank. (I'm using their live rock) the rock can leach out phosphates. What do you think? Could that be true? I go to 3 different fish stores and all 3 have different answers.

Yea, scrubbing those rocks are hard on your back. I know I missed a lot. Now paying for it

Back
Top Bottom