Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pico tanks?

I just seen the post by hyewiz and was in awe. I have a 2.5 gal that I thought about putting corals in a while back and it is now just sitting on a table with about 2 inches of aragonite sand on the bottom. I didn't do anything because I thought that it wouldn't be able to handle the bioload. Now hyewiz has inspired me to continue on with my venture. Could anybody give me an idea of how to start? I was thinking using som lr from my big tank and use that for filtration along with pwc. I have an aquaclear 201 ph. It pumps "up to 126 gph", would that be too much for a little tank? Also how much lighting is needed? 12.5 watts give 5 watts/gal. Would a 20 watt 10,000K bulb be OK? Is there any fish that would be able to survive in a tank that small? Maybe goby/pistol shrimp? Hyewiz, thanks for the inspiration, kudos to you!

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think one of the smallest gobies would be ok with it. Also that should be plunty of light for zoos/softies. And just water changes on schedule basis to keep everything happy. Defintely have to post some pics when you have it up and running.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It could be real soon!!! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight thinking about it. All I have to get is a bulb. I have a heater, lr, ph, salt, the tank, sand is already washed and in the bottom, so I am ready to go. As I said I wanted to do this months ago, but never gave it a second thought. I wanted to put a sun coral in it, that's why I thought the bioload would be too much with feedings and expelling waste. I will definitely post pics when I get it going. Oh yeah, I need to make a canopy too, so a trip to hd is also in order!!!!!

Old 10-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are neon gobies at my LFS that are tiny tiny tiny. I think they would work pretty well.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking about a clown goby, but they don't form a bond with pistol shrimp do they? I've made my plans for a canopy already, next stop is hd to get materials.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
No they don't. I think even the smallest shrimp goby would be to small for a 2.5 You could do an invert tank.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com