Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Discus Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Question Piggyback Canister Filters

Has anyone piggybacked different size canister filters together. I currently have a Eheim 2180 for 130 gal tank, I'm thinking about adding another (smaller) canister after it using the same in/out hoses. Can this be done? Will there be pressure/pump issues? I would like to do this so I can add additional media without having to take out some of the bio media in the current filter. Cheers, Peter
__________________

__________________
Discus Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
maxwellag's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,286
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean connecting one canister directly to the outflow of another? It might cause issues with flow- the impeller works to push water back up into the tank. If it has to push water through the filter media, it might not work well. Canister filters are designed so gravity helps the water through the media. You'd probably be better off giving both filters their own intake and outflow in the tanks.
__________________

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Pete View Post
Has anyone piggybacked different size canister filters together. I currently have a Eheim 2180 for 130 gal tank, I'm thinking about adding another (smaller) canister after it using the same in/out hoses. Can this be done? Will there be pressure/pump issues? I would like to do this so I can add additional media without having to take out some of the bio media in the current filter. Cheers, Peter
You could get a pre-filter canister. It's basically a canister(no motor) that is attached to the canister and the water passes through it first to remove most of the visable waste before going into the actual canister.
They are also called a Filter Booster, this is an example of one....
These WILL reduce the flow of your canister filter as the motor is drawing the water through two filters....
External Aquarium Fish Tank add on Filter 2.3L - All Pond Solutions EF-2-Booster | eBay
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Discus Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I was trying to reduce the number of in take and out take tubes within the tank.
__________________
Discus Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
maxwellag's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Pete View Post
Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I was trying to reduce the number of in take and out take tubes within the tank.
For what purpose? If you're trying to make the tubes less visible, you could get a background and get tubes that are the same color. Here's one of my tanks just to show how they're more hidden:

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Discus Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
I was going to use the 2nd canister for additional media so i wouldn't have to disturb/take out some of the bio media. I need to add Eheim Phosphate Out (due to a high level of Phosphat in the tank) and carbon. I was hoping my spare canister could have acted as a backup medical canister without having to add additional hoses.

I've spoken to Eheim and they also agree that it can't be done. No harm in asking.
__________________
Discus Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Pete View Post
I was going to use the 2nd canister for additional media so i wouldn't have to disturb/take out some of the bio media. I need to add Eheim Phosphate Out (due to a high level of Phosphat in the tank) and carbon. I was hoping my spare canister could have acted as a backup medical canister without having to add additional hoses.

I've spoken to Eheim and they also agree that it can't be done. No harm in asking.
What about adding a HOB filter??
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Discus Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
No room.
__________________
Discus Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Pete View Post
No room.
You can add the other canister without worrying about BB or bio-media. Your ehiem will have that.....
What other media are you looking to add??
__________________

__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aquacon Order arrived!! Warning lots of pictures carey Saltwater Reef Aquaria 143 11-29-2013 03:00 PM
The which filter(s) do you have and what's in them thread Coryluv General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 09-05-2013 02:01 PM
Help me choose my next filter(s) Trevelyan General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 01-21-2012 11:34 PM
Canister Filters WayBel2004 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 07-06-2011 04:21 PM
I need a good bio Canister Filters superdave07 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 06-28-2011 09:43 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.