Planted aquarium aquascaping questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZcarFR-S

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on moving up from a 10 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank. I have been reading a lot online and can't find any good beginners things for this. What substrates to use filtration light brands heaters bubblers or if there is anything else i need to use. How do you set your substrate how do you clean the tank etc any information or if you know of good accurate reading material would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would love to see what people tell you as well. I'm starting a rescape of my 250g and would also like some pointers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm upgrading from my 1gallon to a 55 gallon and want to know this as well

Here are some useful articles to get you started and hopefully answer most if your questions. This is from the FW>Planted>Getting Started section:
Articles to Help with the Planted Tank http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83826
I prefer providing answers rather than links but this is a lot of information to cover. I think the big question is what type of tank you would like to setup: low light - low maintenance to high light high tech to something in between. Read up and ask away.

Well from my research it's going to be a high light due to the grass I want to use as a carpet which will require co2. From what I have read the start up is not difficult for a tank like this but the upkeep is much easier

wohhhh thats like every thing not just aquascaping?

Do you have and preferences?

Heaters I've been interested in cobalt neo-threms lately and viaaqua and Fluvals E heaters.

Also liked Cobalts EXT canister filter, for a 55 I would probably use 2 Fluval C3 or C4 HOB's or 1+ the EXT, just my opinion ATM.

For my 150 gallon used 160lbs of eco complete and 50lbs of some rock and dumped it in all haphazardly, figured id let the randomness do my aquascaping for me. For a 55 you could do 4-5 bags of eco complete or 2-3 and some rock.

Do you want for light, LED or T5's? What plants will you have?

I'm really not sure now the guy at the fish store said that the fish I am wanting won't do good in planted tank because they will tear it up

Jack dempsys and other cichlids

Larger cichlids (not including angels or discus) may be too disruptive for plants. Not all but most. Nice of the LFS to steer you away rather than sell you something you may regret later.

Yea also made suggestions on substrates and fake plants that look real that would accent the fish and set the focus more on them than the plants.

I would steer away from big cichlids in a 55. It's just too small.

In the end of the day however, it's your tank, so do what you want. I would suggest still planting the tank and doing smaller fish that are more suited for your tank.

Well the plan is eventually to move to a 400g in a year or so when I get a house just for now I'm in a apartment so what's the growth rate on them?

Well the plan is eventually to move to a 400g in a year or so when I get a house just for now I'm in a apartment so what's the growth rate on them?

They grow fairly fast (as most cichlids do). Also, life can get in the way. I would never buy a fish planning on upgrading tanks, sometimes things don't work out.

True about life luckily hough the only thing holding me back now is my lease on my current apartment. I will keep looking I want 1 or 2 decent sized fish in the 55g at least big for that tank size. I'm not the kind to get a red tail cat and try to keep him in a 55g

True about life luckily hough the only thing holding me back now is my lease on my current apartment. I will keep looking I want 1 or 2 decent sized fish in the 55g at least big for that tank size. I'm not the kind to get a red tail cat and try to keep him in a 55g

Sounds like a plan. I wish you the best of luck. 400g is a pretty big leap. Especially $$$ wise.

Not really worried about money I can always make more of it

Back
Top Bottom