'Play Sand' substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo257

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello;
Would regular 'play sand'(the kind used for kid's sandbox) be ok to use as substrate? Thank you for your time.
Bobo257

as long as it don't contain silicates or you'll have chocolate colored sand in about a week

I recommend looking into Pool Filter Sand. I used in my 29 Gallon build and really like it. After it's rinsed thoroughly, it doesn't cloud the water at all and the grain size is big enough that it doesn't compact and "clump" together. It has a very natural look, with some different colored grains mixed in with the white/beige.

Thank you all for the info. I'm using Alabama river small size gravel in 3 of my aquariums now & like it. Plants are growing well in it. I won't use the play sand because it does have silicates in it but I will look into the pool filter sand. I just wanted to try some sand in one of the 10 gal. tanks I will use for raising fry. I also found the similar threads re the play sand and looked into them. Thanks again,
Bobo257

I know many people use play sand and I use it in two tanks with fish that require a soft sand. Pool filter sand is sharper than very fine play sand. As long as you keep the sand clean, I don't see why it would turn brown. Neither of my tanks have ever had brown sand. At <$3 a bag, it's by far my favorite sand substrate.

Back
Top Bottom