please help choosing equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briancreekmore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It has been a few years and have set up a 55 gal salt water tank. I would like to purchase a sump or wet dry, skimmer and pump. So many options are available can any one help me choose a good option.

What do you think of the PRO CLEAR AQUATICS PRO 150 WET/DRY FILTER w/PREFILTER it has a built in skimmer.
or
Eshopps WD75CS Wet/Dry, Single Intake, 10-75
Gal; 18 x 10 x 16

W/ Eugene Danner Model 7 Mag-drive Pump 700 GPH
w/Coralife Super Skimmer w/Pump 65 gal

If anyone can recommend a got set up it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

If you can get the coralife cheap like I did ( about $30 used on ebay) go for it, but I personally wouldnt buy it brand new ( anywhere from $90-120). It works pretty well ( good skimmate), but i've had it overflow several times. I would probably spend the $40-50 more and get an octupus skimmer. I hear they're a lot better for just a bit more ( especially if you're buying new).

Im not sure about the other items, but thought I'd give you my opinion on it since I own one.

Melinda, Thank you I will look into the octopus. I am FOWLR but would like to buy what I need to do a reef system. My head is spinning with all the options and oppinions on what to use. Any advice on a tried and proven set up is appreciated.

If you are wanting to go with a reef eventually then I would avoid spending the money on a Wet/Dry filter. They just don't cut it for a reef tank. The octopus line of skimmers are great and at a good price. For good filtration on a reef you want 1.5-2lbs of LR per gallon of water and a decent sized sump with a refugium (packed with macro algae). Your sump does not need to be a store bought acrylic beauty either. You can use smaller tanks or even rubbermaid containers for your sump and fuge.

i use to have a coralife skimmer they are okay but i went with the octopus skimmer and by far a better choice. they are great i have the recirculating 150. i would go with a sump style w/fuge not a wetdry. a mag 9 would be good with the head loss it will put you at 700gph.

55 gal FOWLR to reef build for dummies like me

55 gal FOWLR to reef build for dummies like me.

I am truly enjoying all of the information and advice in all the posts. I appreciate the experienced guidance. I will be making a detailed list of products as I go through this build. I will be honest, the more I read the dumber I feel so please feel free to set me straight.

I plan on doing a 20 gal glass tank as sump/refugium. Please recommend design ideas.
Eshopps PF300 Overflow Box, Single, 75 Gal; 6 x 3 x 10 $39.99
Eugene Danner Model 9.5 Mag-drive Pump 950 GPH $78.19

Many options for the octopus. Can you recommend an option.
Octopus INT-TS-120 Protein Skimmer $150.00

thank you for your support.

55 gal FOWLR to reef build for dummies like me

I am truly enjoying all of the information and advice in all the posts. I appreciate the experienced guidance. I will be making a detailed list of products as I go through this build. I will be honest, the more I read the dumber I feel so please feel free to set me straight.

I plan on doing a 20 gal glass tank as sump/refugium. Please recommend design ideas.

thank you for your support. I'm still making the list.

thank you for your support.

I know the PF300 is rated for a 75g tank however if you are planning on using the Mag 9.5 as your return pump you are going to need more then the PF300. I would suggest at least the PF-800 and if it were me I would go with the PF-1000 just to have the dual drain lines. Since you are going to have a sump with a fuge being able to have your drain lines split and go to different sections can be very nice when you are plumbing.

What kind of stand are you going to put the 55 on? Is it a store bought stand or are you going to build it?

Ziggy Love your tank

I appreciate your help. I am studying your build and you have great information. I need to get my 55 through my wifes buget and then hope to build a larger tank next year. I will need advise on all the plumbing soon.

I bought the tank used w/ stand. I have a woodworking shop and love your design. The ID is 10" x 47" but can enlarge the width easily.I hope to build a canopy similar to yours. I have the tank set up behind a couch and is veiwed on all sides. I will get some pictures to post soon.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that my thread was able to help you out some!

Check on Criagslist in your area for equipment. There are always people selling old stuff off.

The reason I ask about the stand is having a dedicated fuge and a sump makes a big difference in how you plumb things. I have 3 different sumps running on my system so I have plumbing going every which way. Let me know if you need some help I would be glad to offer my assistance.

That PF300 overflow isn't enough if you intend on using a Mag9.5 for your return. The PF300 can only handle 300gph of flow, and the mag9.5 puts out up to 950gph, that's recipe for a puddle on your floor. You need to make sure that the overflow is rated higher than the return pump you wish to use, so in this case you can select a larger overflow, or a smaller return pump. I'd recommend the PF1200, it's only a little more and will allow you to upgrade the tank later without having to upgrade every piece of equipment.

I'm in the process of setting up a 72g tank, and selected the Octopus NW-150 skimmer. This also allows you to move to a bigger tank without needing to purchase a larger skimmer immediately.

Refug Layout and plumbing

If I use the Eshopps PF1200 Dual Overflow Box, What is the best way to run the plumbing? run both into the skimmer capartment or one into skimmer and one into refug?

I was thinking of having the refug set up skimmer-refug-return. the refug centered in the tank with the refug section visible. Please advise.

To make the refug larger is it a bad idea to use a hang on back skimmer? or is it best to have it in the sump/refug?

This leaves me lost on the return pump size needed. How do I figure out the size of pump I will need?

Hogie thank you for the recomendation. I will start out with the 29 gal High. Thank you Micah been reading your basic equipment article and it is very helpful.
Ziggy, I see now, and yes I will be building a new base. I am watching craig list and the papers for a deal.

This is going to keep me busy this winter.

My plan for my dual-overflow HOB is to have 1 line go to the skimmer section, and the second output go to both the skimmer section and the fuge. By putting in a gate T and a gate valve, I can control how much goes to the fuge section, letting the rest dump into the skimmer section.

I had a pic of it, but I can't find it now.

Neilan, thank you will you have a picture up soon in your thread for your sump on the 72?

I like having a dedicated tank for my refugium. I'm using a 20g tall just for my fuge. It all depends on the size stand you have and the space you have. Basic suggestion for fuge size is 20% of tank volume.

Neilan got his 72 from me and I ran the same sump configuration on it as I am my 120. The more total water volume you have the better.

Seperate refurgium and sump.

Is it a good idea to design it so I can build a acrylic tank for the skimmer/sump and use the 29 gal for refug and return( or use an external return pump?)

I am planning on designing the base around the sump and refuge system.

I think there's benefits to having the sump and fuge seperate from one another if you have room to do so. The plumbing is a little more involved to implement this, but it's not that hard.

There really is no one way to do things. You kind of have to work with the space and equipment you have or plan to get. If I had my way I would have external return pumps for sure. They are quiet and they don't add heat to your system.

If you are going to build a sump to fit your needs and want to use the 29 as a fuge/return then I say go for it. There is nothing wrong with that design. That is how mine started out. My current fuge (20g tall) was at one time my entire sump. Slowly as I learned more and expanded I upgraded and increased my sumps. Again it all depends on your space.

Back
Top Bottom