Please help (lighting for 55)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daveb82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking everywhere to find out about aquarium lighting and can not seen to find an anwser. If anyone can help I would be very greatful. I have a 55 gallon tank that I bought as a kit, it came with two canopies which hold a 18" t8 each they are both 15 watts. I am wanting to have a heavily planted tank. I know this is way below the wpg rule. My tank also gets a little sunlight. Will this much lighting work for any plants? Ex low, moderate, or high light plants? If not what is the best/cost efficiant way to add more light? I don't really want to scrap what came with kit since I am sure it cost me a bit in the price. I also called my lfs and a new hood with cfl costs $300. I have already spent $1000 on setup didn't want to spend too much more. Also if it makes a difference I have a tetra whisper 100 gallon putting air into water. I also have a 50-60 gallon over back waterfall type filter as well as a fluval 405 and a fluval fx5 I know it's over kill but I got for very good price. I will also be adding iron to watet and testing levels to make sure it's proper. Any help would be great thx.
Sorry for length of question

Welcome to AA!

You'll be hard pressed to grow many plants under that light. Mosses, java fern, and anubias would probably survive, but I doubt they'd thrive unless you raised them up near the light on rock or wood.

The best bang for your buck will be a shop light from your local home improvement store. You can probably get one with halfway decent reflectors and a pair of daylight spectrum 40W T8 bulbs for $50 or less.

Aerating the tank will actually off-gas CO2, which plants need.

A 50g HOB, 405, and FX5 on a 55g? That's probably crossing the line into the category of ridiculous overfiltering. The FX5 would be plenty. When you're ready to set up more tanks, feel free to take a filter off your 55g. In fact, pull the HOB now. The agitation also off-gases CO2.

To do that I would have to take off both my canopies which keep in moisture. How would I keep moisture from hitting new light? Or would it matter?

Back
Top Bottom