please help me wiht seting up my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all i just bought a 29" sump refuguim in one, and i bought a hurricane overflow quiteflow 600... im going to be completly honest, i have no idea where to even start what to do.. this is going to be hooked up to my 55 gallon tank, and ideas on what i can do what type of pump i should buy i was thinking a mag 5 or mag 7, but the overflow has a return of 600gph so im really at a loss, i would really really apreciate any help you guys can give me on what to do how to hook it up what else i need to buy. Thank you very much.

According to this chart I would get the mag7 and put a ball valve on your overflow line so you can control the main water level.
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/wp/Danner_Flow_Chart.html?L+scstore+jsxb4689ff26a826+1137638274

Hooking it up is pretty straight forward. From your overflow run a line (with valve) down to your sump (guessing wet/dry) Plumb your mag pump with a return line back to your main. I like loc-line or similar for this since you can place the flow easy. Make sure you test your setup for power outages so you do not end up with a flood.

Both are good. If you are planning to have corals that require different flows etc I would do loc-line. If you do a spray bar make sure you have plenty of flow in your tank as it will not do much for water circulation.

Would u buy the whole loc- line system or do i just need the ends the litte end attachments and hook them up to a pvc pipe or something??

Pardon me for jumping in here. But how do you control the system from overflowing the sump or the main in the event of a power outage? If I understand it correctly, the suction from the main to the sump will continue if power is lost to the return pump, resulting in an overflow at the sump. But once the power is restored and the waterline in the main is below the intake, the pump will drain the sump and cause an overflow in the main. Just curious because I want to eventually set up a sump too.

Thanks!

I would get the ends and nozzles and put them on PVC. Be sure you get the threaded piece that attaches to PVC. Loc-line will not glue to PVC.

i was worried about the overflowing honestly i dont know what to do with that im not sure all i know is the hurricane overflow i bought says it prevents overflowing.

Back
Top Bottom