Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help me with new 310 gal cichlid

from jax, fl.

I just ordered a 310 gal. 96"x25.5"x30.5" tank from glasscages.com and I am in desperate need for advice as I have been out of the fish game for awhile.

Please advize on what will be the best type of filtration as to keep my moderately stocked cichlid tank clean, clear and healthy.

What would you use to accomplish this?

Should the tank be drilled?

Again it is my goal to have the nicest tank with as little maintanance that is necessary to maintain the above mentioned.

Again I have been searching for help and I am running out of time for my freshwater tank is on its way.....Help Me & Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!

deputy6349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
the tank can be drilled if there isnt a tempered bottom pane in there, 9 out of 10 times there is.

I know its overkill but that size tank you might want to just research wet/dry filters for it. I got a 45g tall tank for discus and got a 175g capable sump system on it with a CPR overflow ( i think its the 201)

its got eco complete in it now, and water. only change.
here is the sump

This is my old mans tank, i got him the glass coffin, canopy, tank and stand.
in two weeks he has put over 1200 bucks into the tank and he hasnt bought a single fish yet. He also like you has been out of the game for a while, 20 years exactly this year and he was eyeballing 300g but that wasnt in my budget unfortunetly but we are working with what we got.

Id run a sump w/ overflow if you cant drill it sumps require less maintence then a hob or canister and also eliminate the risk of toxin backflush when there is a power outage.

PM me and I can get your email and send you things that helped him make his decisions. he kept fish from 1967 to 1990 bred all sorts of fish, kept monster cichlids and just had to quit when he got orders to deploy in 1990 for the sandbox. It took me getting him the glass box to get back into it but he did and well you can see above what is going on. Any of us here would be happy to help you out.

in the end its your tank and you are the one who has to look at it daily and you also get what you pay for in this hobby, almost any deal is never too good to be true, you find a deal grab it.

Do you have a budget for this build and is it reasonable?

That's not a planted tank. That's a jungle with glass around it- MFDROOKIE Circa 2011
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Peronally, i would go with a couple fx5's... pool filter sand for substrate... but a wet/dry setup would be just as good

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A hint on decor, go to a couple of your local landscaping supply companies, even if they don't sell to the public (especially, actually) and see if they have leftover rock from a job they will give away. I got a bunch of this from a guy that got it that way and this tank looks awesome because of it:

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com