please help my external overflow box to get flowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
i cant and dont how you prime or start the siphoning on my external overflow box! it has two U tubes. How do you do this? i been trying several methods. please i want to get this going. :?:

Insert a piece of flexible airline tubing into each U tube and start a siphon, once the water gets over the "hump" you should be able to remove the air hose....obviously making sure that you do not remove the U tubes from the water.

thanks, i got it to work it another strange way. instead i used a flex tube and inserted into the U tube but instead of siphoning i put the output of the sump pump to force water into the U tube and over to the other drain box. worked great :D

i think i came out with luck because with the two U tubes flowing my Quite One 4000 is keeping up. The pump may be just a bit too fast it almost runs out of water to pump. How would you adjust this? Can you add more U tubes for more water out of the main tank or do you adjust the sump pump. How?

TIA
pelochas

Lower your inner box further into the tank, this should raise the water level in your sump. Also make sure your tubes are full of water and not a ton of air.

well i could not get the flex tube into the U tubes to prime them without removing the inner box. The box is attached with a plastic nut and screw. so the U tubes are pulling water straight from the tank, which means its pulling at full capcity. maybe i need more U tubes or if i add a SCWD to the output hose in the main tank from my sump pump it may slow the pump down a bit.

btw, the water rushing down into the sump make quite a bit of water splash and noise. no noise from the tubes but after the first section of my sump, it flows over to my main return section and its there where a lot of splash noise is. any thoughts on how to silence this?

Back
Top Bottom