Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question please help my first aquarium

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum and I just bought my first aquarium (80 gallons). I was wondering if u can give me some advices about setting it up cause i'm totally new to this thing. I have a smaller aquarium with one axolotl, and I have a 180 lbs caucasian mountain dog and a congo african grey parrot but never owned a fish before, I want to get 2 oscars, 2 catfish, 3 blecos, a colorful crab, and if possible a freshwater eel.

Are my choices good? Is the aquarium large enough? Or is it too small? Can I consider adding more fish? Also what kinds of decorations and aquatic plants do you suggest? Do u know any other aquatic animals that I can add?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes on some kind of cat. Pleco is related to catfish I believe.

Some eels are ok, the smaller ones, really anything bigger than its mouth should be fine.

Fishless cycle for sure, that's the way to start the tank.

I'd also use a canister filter, possibly run a sump if you wanted to keep it extra clean.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy guy View Post
Fishless cycle for sure, that's the way to start the tank.
I totally agree!

Also, good choice getting a large tank to start with! I have a 10 gallon, and I want to get a bigger tank so bad!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

please help my first aquarium

Whoaaa. Good choice is right getting a decent sized tank, it will be easier to look after, but the stocking your thinking of is going to be too much. 80 gallons will be good for one adult oscar and thats all. They say 55 for one oscar but if you've ever seen an adult oscar in a 55 you'll realize it's to small. They need a lot of clean water to be healthy as well. So even in an 80 gallon with one adult oscar your going to need to do at least two 50% water changes a week. If you want to keep 2 oscars you will want a 6 foot long tank in the 125 gallon range to accommodate their territorial needs. I keep 1 oscar in 125 gallon with 10 silver dollars which are low bioload. Getting two oscars to live together is very hit and miss. They will be fine as juvi's when you buy them at a couple inches long, then after you have them for a year and they start to mature the fighting will begin if one doesn't like the other. They're are other issues as well but the biggest will be water quality. If you still want all those fish get yourself 300 + gallon tank. Do your fish less cycle and research research research before you stock the tank or your experience will be bad and turn you off from the hobby very quickly. Good luck
Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say no to the Oscars, they get very big and can be territorial as adults. Make sure you read up on cycling. That's the most important thing for a new aquarium. There are articles on this website about it.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I highly suggest you read them, or at least the first one
good luck!
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also if you want a great tool for helping you stock your tank, go to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor it's super easy to use and very very very useful!

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com