please help my first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum and I just bought my first aquarium (80 gallons). I was wondering if u can give me some advices about setting it up cause i'm totally new to this thing. I have a smaller aquarium with one axolotl, and I have a 180 lbs caucasian mountain dog and a congo african grey parrot :D but never owned a fish before, I want to get 2 oscars, 2 catfish, 3 blecos, a colorful crab, and if possible a freshwater eel.

Are my choices good? Is the aquarium large enough? Or is it too small? Can I consider adding more fish? Also what kinds of decorations and aquatic plants do you suggest? Do u know any other aquatic animals that I can add?

Thanks in advance.

Yes on some kind of cat. Pleco is related to catfish I believe.

Some eels are ok, the smaller ones, really anything bigger than its mouth should be fine.

Fishless cycle for sure, that's the way to start the tank.

I'd also use a canister filter, possibly run a sump if you wanted to keep it extra clean.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Whoaaa. Good choice is right getting a decent sized tank, it will be easier to look after, but the stocking your thinking of is going to be too much. 80 gallons will be good for one adult oscar and thats all. They say 55 for one oscar but if you've ever seen an adult oscar in a 55 you'll realize it's to small. They need a lot of clean water to be healthy as well. So even in an 80 gallon with one adult oscar your going to need to do at least two 50% water changes a week. If you want to keep 2 oscars you will want a 6 foot long tank in the 125 gallon range to accommodate their territorial needs. I keep 1 oscar in 125 gallon with 10 silver dollars which are low bioload. Getting two oscars to live together is very hit and miss. They will be fine as juvi's when you buy them at a couple inches long, then after you have them for a year and they start to mature the fighting will begin if one doesn't like the other. They're are other issues as well but the biggest will be water quality. If you still want all those fish get yourself 300 + gallon tank. Do your fish less cycle and research research research before you stock the tank or your experience will be bad and turn you off from the hobby very quickly. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom