Please Help :( Overflow System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelflyintohigh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have bought a used aquarium set up. The tank is 125 and has a bio ball AquaClear filter system. We have it all hooked up except for the overflow system. We cannot figure out what it is that makes the water flow over into the overflow. I don't know if something is missing or what. We are at loss! I am wondering if someone could tell me or show me a picture of what this should look like or maybe a list of what parts may hook up to the overflow. Please help!:( I am near the point of tears.

Does your tank have an internal or external overflow? i.e. is there a black box (or boxes) inside the tank, either in the corner or along the back wall with slots in it, or is there an external, hang-on-the-back thing that kind of looks like a filter?

I'm not an expert on overflows but there are lots of other folks here who are, and they will need to know what kind of overflow you have. Pictures would be the best help but any kind of description will do.

Thank you for responding!!

The overflow hangs on the outside of the tank and then it has a skimmer basket that is attached and hangs on the inside. It has the U tube but I see nothing that can draw the water into the overflow?? I will add a couple of pictures so you can all see. I am so frustrated as we worked on this all day and just gave up. I am so upset as I have the sea salt and all of those types of things coming on Monday and was so in hopes of getting this all ready this weekend so I could start the water circulating on Monday.

Attachments

• Picture 218.jpg
    Picture 218.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 105
  • Picture 220.jpg
    Picture 220.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Picture 219.jpg
    Picture 219.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 104
angelflyintohigh Added: the second picture shows all that there is for the skimmer. Just the U tube so I can't see how it will ever get into the overflow. There has to be something missing here. I have never had a set up like this one so I am at a loss.

I am sure someone else will chime in....probably tomorrow, though, as there aren't too many night owls like us....

Be patient....your pics will help a lot and with the knowledge on this site your questions will get answered soon.

I'm not totally sure about the question, but I'll try to answer it as I see it. Once the siphon starts, and water flows down the tube, it will lower the level of the water in the overflow box. Now since the level in the overflow box is lower than that in the tank/prefilter box, it will start a siphon, sucking water from the prefilter box into the overflow box. Also you need to try to get all the air out of the u-tube, as the siphon won't start with it in there.

Never really worked with overflows myself, but I'm working on the conceptuals. HTH

check out link under wet/dry filter...The black box with the slots goes in your tank, the other box hangs on to the tank on the outside and the U tube brings water from the inside box to the outside box and down to your filter or sump and then back to the display tank....
EshoppsOverflowBox.jpg

I cannot believe it but now I have discovered a leak and had to spend all night draining this tank. Can you please tell me what type of sealer I should or should not use? I know where the leak is but I am not sure what kind of sealer would be safe for saltwater fish. Thank you.

Last edited:
Is your tank glass or acrylic? if it's glass then use Dap Aquariums sealant 100% silicone clear. If it's acrylic then you will need an acrylic sealer. You could get it from a glass shop or hardware store.

Last edited:
For your overflow. You adjust the box so that the lip of the overflow is below the water line (so it fills). Then the thing you have to do is get the water to flow through the tubes and over the back of the tank into the back chamber so it can drain. You need to remove the air so the siphon starts.

Take a small airline hose, shove it up the tube up the siphon tube and suck the air out. Good idea to have 2 people as you need the return pump running at the same time so the water level stays consistent and can continue to overflow and... well.... keep the cycle going.

Good luck. The first few times it can be nerve racking

Melev's Reef - How to start an overflow box

Is this tank repairable? If I seal it with the weight of the water and the gravel will it hold? My husband says he don't think it will because he beleives they pressure seal them when they are made. Has anyone out there been able to repair one of these and have it hold up. I am not sure what to do now. (it is a 125 gallon tank)

Just do the inside and be sure that it is dry.....let set for whatever the tube says.
good luck
T.

I use a length of 1/4" air line tubing to start the siphon. Insert into the U tube to the top of the bend then suck out all of the air.
Make sure the sump return line has a small hole to break the siphon or else it will flood the sump. The hole should be between pump off and pump running water levels.

Yesterday we worked on the tank to get all the old sealer off. After cleaning all of that we did get it resealed. Oh please keep your fingers crossed that it works. I will fill it tomorrow and see what the outcome will be. I sure am praying that we did everything right. Once it will hold the water without leaking we will go back to trying to get the overflow to do its job. I had no idea about the small tube.You will remove the tube then once the water comes out? I am so appreciative for all of the advice you all have shared with me. I will let you know how it turns out. I will be back on soon good news or bad, Again thank you for now :)

It is working!!!!!

:D Thank you all so much for all the wonderful advise! I removed all the old sealer from the tank and resealed the whole thing and it is up and running. Thank God an all of you I have the filter working now and I am so ready to get on with adding some stock to it. I honestly would have never thought to take the air out of the u tube to start the overflow. Wow, what a ordeal. I hope now I can sit back and enjoy it. I had almost gave up and then I found this site. I am so glad I have joined I am sure that I will learn a whole lot more from you all. Again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom