Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Please help! Regulator set up

I am trying to set up a new Milwaukee MA957 co2 regulator and I'm stuck. I am at the point of setting the bubble counter and have the needle valve opened all the way. As per instructions I turned the adjustment knob clockwise and the box said the low side is supposed to drop to 10 psi. When I turn the adjustment knob the water shoots out of the bubble counter and the lps pegs. What am I doing wrong? Help?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus
I am trying to set up a new Milwaukee MA957 co2 regulator and I'm stuck. I am at the point of setting the bubble counter and have the needle valve opened all the way. As per instructions I turned the adjustment knob clockwise and the box said the low side is supposed to drop to 10 psi. When I turn the adjustment knob the water shoots out of the bubble counter and the lps pegs. What am I doing wrong? Help?
Same thing happened to me. What I did was I Closed the needle valve and open it slowly to adjust the bps.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where should the regulator valve be, opened or closed? I just took e everything down and started over. With the cylinder closed the right gauge is still pegged.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

The directions are very... misleading. As roy said, close the needle valve. Turn the regulator until the right gauge reads about 10psi. Slowly open the needle valve until you get your desired bubble rate. 2bps is usually a good starting point for 30g+. I run about 5-6bps in my 40 breeder, but I run my co2 on the high side (about 40ppm or so).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if this is how you are suppose to do it but that's what worked for me. Adjust the knob until there is no tension, keep the needle valve closed, open(?) the canister and adjust the needle valve.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am worried I blew something because the right gauge needle is hanging with the cylinder closed. If it is blown is it ok as long as I'm getting the desired bps. The hps is working. When I would try to adjust to get 10 psi the lps needle would move only a tiny bit at the bottom of the gauge.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ok... lets start from scratch. Back your regulator off completely so that there is no flow. open your needle valve and release all the pressure in the lines... Now, close your needle valve all the way (make sure your cylinder valve is fully open). Slowly turn your regulator and watch the right guage. It should start creeping up as you turn it in. Now, once you get 10psi (make sure you read the psi, not the kpa), you'll just need to adjust the flow with the needle valve.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus
I am worried I blew something because the right gauge needle is hanging with the cylinder closed. If it is blown is it ok as long as I'm getting the desired bps. The hps is working. When I would try to adjust to get 10 psi the lps needle would move only a tiny bit at the bottom of the gauge.
I broke the right gauge as well. Jonathan(mfd) and Justin(fort) told Me that as long as bubbles are coming out that it is ok. You can replace the gauge if you want though. Or not.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi rookie, I think the regulator is ruined. The right gauge hangs, pointing towards the floor so I can't gauge the psi. If I turn the regulator knob and I start to get bubbles they carry but then they loose pressure and stop. If I turn the reg knob the bubble will start again and then stop. This is all while adjusting the needle valve for desired rate. I think I just blew $90!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No, you didn't blow anything (well.. nothing necessarily important if anything blew). You shouldn't get any bubbles coming out if the needle valve is closed. Did you shut the needle valve and open the regulator? Turn it until that gauge reads some pressure...

Just for clarification, when you hooked it up, did you have the regulator closed? It says to, and I always try, but I forgot which way was closed last time and turned the cylinder on with the regulator open... so I doubt you busted it. I really think its just the way you're going about it. I promise, once you figure it out, its super simple... its just really confusing at first.

Tags
regulator, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com