Please help! Regulator set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am trying to set up a new Milwaukee MA957 co2 regulator and I'm stuck. I am at the point of setting the bubble counter and have the needle valve opened all the way. As per instructions I turned the adjustment knob clockwise and the box said the low side is supposed to drop to 10 psi. When I turn the adjustment knob the water shoots out of the bubble counter and the lps pegs. What am I doing wrong? Help?

Amicus said:
I am trying to set up a new Milwaukee MA957 co2 regulator and I'm stuck. I am at the point of setting the bubble counter and have the needle valve opened all the way. As per instructions I turned the adjustment knob clockwise and the box said the low side is supposed to drop to 10 psi. When I turn the adjustment knob the water shoots out of the bubble counter and the lps pegs. What am I doing wrong? Help?

Same thing happened to me. What I did was I Closed the needle valve and open it slowly to adjust the bps.

Where should the regulator valve be, opened or closed? I just took e everything down and started over. With the cylinder closed the right gauge is still pegged.

The directions are very... misleading. As roy said, close the needle valve. Turn the regulator until the right gauge reads about 10psi. Slowly open the needle valve until you get your desired bubble rate. 2bps is usually a good starting point for 30g+. I run about 5-6bps in my 40 breeder, but I run my co2 on the high side (about 40ppm or so).

I don't know if this is how you are suppose to do it but that's what worked for me. Adjust the knob until there is no tension, keep the needle valve closed, open(?) the canister and adjust the needle valve.

I am worried I blew something because the right gauge needle is hanging with the cylinder closed. If it is blown is it ok as long as I'm getting the desired bps. The hps is working. When I would try to adjust to get 10 psi the lps needle would move only a tiny bit at the bottom of the gauge.

Ok... lets start from scratch. Back your regulator off completely so that there is no flow. open your needle valve and release all the pressure in the lines... Now, close your needle valve all the way (make sure your cylinder valve is fully open). Slowly turn your regulator and watch the right guage. It should start creeping up as you turn it in. Now, once you get 10psi (make sure you read the psi, not the kpa), you'll just need to adjust the flow with the needle valve.

Amicus said:
I am worried I blew something because the right gauge needle is hanging with the cylinder closed. If it is blown is it ok as long as I'm getting the desired bps. The hps is working. When I would try to adjust to get 10 psi the lps needle would move only a tiny bit at the bottom of the gauge.

I broke the right gauge as well. Jonathan(mfd) and Justin(fort) told Me that as long as bubbles are coming out that it is ok. You can replace the gauge if you want though. Or not.

Hi rookie, I think the regulator is ruined. The right gauge hangs, pointing towards the floor so I can't gauge the psi. If I turn the regulator knob and I start to get bubbles they carry but then they loose pressure and stop. If I turn the reg knob the bubble will start again and then stop. This is all while adjusting the needle valve for desired rate. I think I just blew $90!

No, you didn't blow anything (well.. nothing necessarily important if anything blew). You shouldn't get any bubbles coming out if the needle valve is closed. Did you shut the needle valve and open the regulator? Turn it until that gauge reads some pressure...

Just for clarification, when you hooked it up, did you have the regulator closed? It says to, and I always try, but I forgot which way was closed last time and turned the cylinder on with the regulator open... so I doubt you busted it. I really think its just the way you're going about it. I promise, once you figure it out, its super simple... its just really confusing at first.

Ok, so just to make sure we're on the same page here.... I drew up this incredible awesome little drawing...

img_1359037_0_44394191e2ad7e7b7f3d5683e7690252.jpg

I just figured it out and am now at 1-2 bps. The right gauge is blown but moves a little so I can tell some gas is moving. As long as there are bubbles I guess all is well. Milwaukee really needs to put something on u-tube instead of the side of a box. Anyway I appreciate you guys talking me down and being patient.

Back
Top Bottom