please post your sources MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am looking to upgrade my PC with some kind of MH retro kit.

if i have a 40 gallon breeder tank. Could i get away with a single 250watt MH and my 220watts pc on this tank? what about just a single 250 watt MH?
and last where are the deals at for retro kits

thanks in advance

doug

You could easily use a single 250 mh, just have to use a higher kelvin like a 14 k bulb. I used Captive Reefs with great results and he will give you a discount for being an aa member.

I bought the 250W MH retro kit for about $145 w/o bulb from hello lights. The advantage to this kit was the electronic ballast. If you go with the magnetic ballast be very careful where you put it and how you manage the heat it produces. These things get incredibly hot compared to the electronic ballasts, not to mention use a lot less electricity. Remember, if you are going to sink money into something make sure it is worthwhile other wise it becomes more expensive in the long run when you end up buying the second or third iteration. Which would probably be the unit that you did not buy in the beginning becasue of price. If cost is the main issue though, these ballasts work great and you can actually get them form HelloLights.com as well. Good luck, MH rule! 0X

have you used this? i have a electrician here at work that can assemble this....does it work?

THANKS!

doug

This is the setup i am buying when i REbuild my canopy, should work no problem!

Magnetic ballasts use less electricity? but run more hot?
Electronic ballast run cooler, and use less electricity(I think Madmanmac mistyped "less" instead of "more"). You can also use SE or DE bulbs w/ an electronic ballast. For $192.00-6% at captivereefs.com you can get a 250watt "plug and play" retro kit w/ an enclosed electronic ballast w/ two built in fans, parabolic reflector w/ a mogul socket, and bulb. Not to mention the choice of 10, 14, or 20k bulb and a three year warranty on the ballast. No wiring, no need to build a ballast enclosure, no ballast heat problems, etc,. When you add everything up, those DIY units end up costing close to, if not just as much as a retro kit IME. Factor in the extra energy usage, and it may end up costing more and more in the long run. HTH

Back
Top Bottom