Please recommend a GOOD heater :+)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I currently have a 55gallon and I am using a 300W Aquatic Gardens heater from Petco.

Problem is that it does not maintain temperature. When I go to sleep the temp is at 80. I wake up, the temp is at 76.

I don't mind spending the money. I just need a good heater..

Thank you all,

Richie

Just get another 100W or 150W heater and put it on the other side of the tank. No point in getting a brand new heater when this works for the most part. It is just hard for it to keep the other side heated at night when the room temp. drops to 65-70. I live in the basement and had the same problem with my 20 gal. I had a 100W heater and it dropped 4-5 degrees at night. I went to PetSmart and bought a 50W for the other side and all is good now. So, if you buy 100W or a 150W you should be good to go...

I use Ebojagger heaters, never had any problems with them.

You didn't say what type of tank you have (FW,SW) also if you have MH lighting this will raise the temperature in your tank. IM sure others will post everyone has there favorites.

i second ebo-jager heaters, cheap and efficient they will mantain within + or - 1 degrees i think

I'm assuming they have a FW tank since this person posted in the freshwater section :wink: what type of ebojagger do you use? I'm also looking at heaters for a 55 gal freshwater and I see all these names and numbers, but in the descriptions it never says how big of a tank it will heat. Can someone clearify this?

I like Visitherms and Ebo-Jagers, which are now an Eheim product. AFAIK the heaters have not lost anything in terms of quality. Tronic heaters are good, from what I have heard.

i love my Tronic Heater by Hagen, but then again, i have nothing to compare it to!

Adding a second heater at the other end of the tank should solve your problems. I prefer 2 heaters anyway, if one dies, your tank will not drop to a dangerous point for your fish. What kink of thermometer do you have? I like the glass vial type. I have tried the plastic ones that stick on the glass and found them to be inaccurate. I put 2 on one tank and they never read within 5 degrees of one another.

i liek the ebo's. they have the numbers on the heater so you dont have to guess where 80 is or watever. also it never goes 2 + -

rubysoho said:
I'm also looking at heaters for a 55 gal freshwater and I see all these names and numbers, but in the descriptions it never says how big of a tank it will heat. Can someone clearify this?

The general recommendation for a heater is 5 watts per gallon, but it also depends on how much you need to raise the water temperature above room temp. Each manufacturer also has a table to give you a guideline for watts/gallon. Here are some links:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...d=3852&R=6328&N=2004+112984+113565&in_merch=1

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...d=3858&R=8902&N=2004+112984+113565&in_merch=1

It seems like the suggested wattage for a 55 gallon tank is 200-300 watts, depending on the manufacturer. I would use 2 heaters, as others have suggested also -- two 150 watt heaters should be fine. You could add the water and test the heaters for a few days before the fish are added, to make sure the heaters are going to keep the water at the right temperature.

I copied this chart on heater sizes from Live Aquaria this should help Rubysoho,

Watts Tank Size Heater
50 10 -15 Gallons 9"
75 15 - 20 Gallons 10"
100 20 - 30 Gallons 12"
125 30 - 45 Gallons 12"
150 40 - 60 Gallons 13"
200 60 - 90 Gallons 15"
250 90+ Gallons 17"

With bigger tanks, 5 wpg is too much. The heaters would constantly be turning on and then turning off. Plus, with a larger tank, there is not as much surface area (per gallon of water) contact with the room air; therefore, loosing less heat when compared to a smaller tank.

Ebo Jaggers are my favorite heater for ease of use.

Menagerie said:
With bigger tanks, 5 wpg is too much. The heaters would constantly be turning on and then turning off. Plus, with a larger tank, there is not as much surface area (per gallon of water) contact with the room air; therefore, loosing less heat when compared to a smaller tank.

I also thought of that; the 5 wpg rule holds up at smaller tank sizes but not at larger sizes, because larger bodies of water (larger tanks) hold heat better than smaller tanks. This link shows that larger tanks don't need 5 watts per gallon.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...eaters/T1/F45+0062+0023/EDP/933/Itemdy00.aspx

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! So is a 55 gal considered a large tank and wouldn't need the 5wpg? And according to An T-iasg's link, I think it came out to be approx. 2.7 wpg (150 total). Does that sound right? I am a little hesitant in believing websites just because I don't hear "real experience" or not enough viewpoints.

That website does seem a bit off. I have a 20 gal and my 100W was pushing it's limit and the website recommends only a 50W. If I were you I would get 2 100W or 150W heaters. One for each side of the tank.

150 total
Sounds good to me! Get a quality heater and you should be fine.

I have also read in the past that a larger heater (5+ wpg) will turn on and off more, and wear out the mechanism. It made sense to me.

BTW~ it also depends on how much cooler the room temp is from the desired tank temp. If you keep your place chilly (one of those wear 3 sweaters-type person), then you will need more wpg to keep the tank warm.

Back
Top Bottom