Plugging a Grounding Probe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I bought a titanium grounding probe for my freshwater tank (120 gal). I plan to place it either in the sump (if I have space or in the overflow (cornero-flo).

I don't have a GFCI outlet near the tank and I don't think I will install one. What I have it's a surge protector battery backup, those that are used for computers, and that's where I'm connecting my heater, pump, lights, etc. Can I connect the probe there? or it needs to be plugged into a GFCI?
or can I get a plug-in GFCI? In the last case, the connection would be like this: connect the grounding probe to a surge protector battery backup, the battery backup to an extension cord and the extension cord to a GFCI plugged to my regular outlet (non GFCI). Is that acceptable?

Is it really necessary?

I will place a 300W submersible titanium heater in the sump, close to the submersible pump, I also have a small air stone in there. That's why I'm not sure if I'm going to have space for the probe there or if I would have to place it in the internal overflow.

Besides the placement, is it a bad thing, I was reading that it can cause some serious problems and it can do more damage than help and other people say it's a good thing to have. What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom