Plugging hole in acrylic sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, HN1 and I were able to pick up an acrylic sump cheap at a yard sale today. The person that used it before was using an external pump and there is a hole in the side. We have a Mag 9.5 pump that we want to run submerged. What is the best way to plug up the hole in the sump? Thanks for reading.

Man I wish I could find cool stuff at yard sales. :(. I think the best way would be to get a bulkhead with threads and get a threaded plug and plug up the hole. This also works with slip fittings, but threaded are more fun! :D

Home depot or Lowes i know for a fact sell rubber and cork plugs. However, i would go with the rubber plugs. They last an extremely long time. And if you get a slightly larger plug then the hole, it will fit snug and will last a long time like that.

Man I wish I could find cool stuff at yard sales. :(. I think the best way would be to get a bulkhead with threads and get a threaded plug and plug up the hole. This also works with slip fittings, but threaded are more fun! :D

So there ARE plugs that fit with bulkheads? Got any links? We were hoping there would be some kind of product like that. And yes, I also prefer threaded fittings to slip! LOL

So there ARE plugs that fit with bulkheads? Got any links? We were hoping there would be some kind of product like that. And yes, I also prefer threaded fittings to slip! LOL

Yea at HD or lowes they have threaded plugs. If you have a 1" threaded bulkhead, then a 1" threaded plug should fit fine. Also, make sure to use Teflon tape.

Well, plugs are out. I went to HD & Lowe's and they stop just shy of the size we need. So it looks like I'm going to have to buy an extra bulkhead just to turn around and plug it. Doh!

1 3/4" hole in acrylic.... a 1 5/8" bulkhead will work correct?

It will fit in there but not tightly.

What size is the hole 1 3/4" I.D?

Get PVC, cement it in there, and cap it. You might have to downsize to upsize but the job will get done, there are reducers and couplings a 4" piece of PVC and a cap. or ball valve it for easy drainage.

You can make a DIY bulkhead from parts in the electrical isle. I know they have water tight fittings you could get a M/F with slip connections and get a cap and a small peice of pipe and just plug it that way.

It will fit in there but not tightly.

What size is the hole 1 3/4" I.D?

Get PVC, cement it in there, and cap it. You might have to downsize to upsize but the job will get done, there are reducers and couplings a 4" piece of PVC and a cap. or ball valve it for easy drainage.

It's 1 3/4" ID. PVC isn't an option until I get a bulkhead. You cant PVC right to a hole in acrylic. I may just rework the plan and plumb the overflow to it. We're using a 2 3/8" for our 50 with a 2 1/2" hole so I think the 1 5/8" will work here.

if you're never going to use the hole why not just get a piece of acrylic and cement weld it over the hole? id do it on the inside so the water pressure would work with the bond not against it.

if you're never going to use the hole why not just get a piece of acrylic and cement weld it over the hole? id do it on the inside so the water pressure would work with the bond not against it.

That's an option that I'm looking at as well. I think it will come down to a cost & safety comparison. What would you use weldon?

yup Weld-On
you wont need 16 ozs but i dont know if they come smaller
plastic-weld will work too but may not be as strong a bond. check out the local hobby store if the hardware store doesn't have it.

Back
Top Bottom