Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Plumbers tape?

S plumbers tape(the white stuff used for a good seal) ok to be used in an aquarium. I am wanting to use it to fit an attachment to a power head.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldnt use it, it may break down to a toxin in ur water if left for a long period of time, try to do some research on it nd see wut it is made of nd then see wut is harmful for to fish

Old 05-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used it for securing one of the Hydor FLO attachments to my powerhead with no I'll effects in my saltwater 37. I did so at the recommendation of my LFS.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer23
I wouldnt use it, it may break down to a toxin in ur water if left for a long period of time, try to do some research on it nd see wut it is made of nd then see wut is harmful for to fish
Ok I'm gonna see what it's made of, but isnt it designed to be wet and not break down
Old 05-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon6209

Ok I'm gonna see what it's made of, but isnt it designed to be wet and not break down
Its designed to stop leaks, i work in HVAC so i kno exactly wut ur talkin about, im not sayin it will break down nd desinigrate, it may jus break down nd release a toxin into the water if soaked for extended periods
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

teflon tape should be fine. I mean we put it on out drinking water fixtures and I have never seen it break down.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake
teflon tape should be fine. I mean we put it on out drinking water fixtures and I have never seen it break down.
Yea u use it on fixtures that arent bein touched by water 24/7, its only flowing through a couple times a day, this is actually sitting in water all day everyday, its better to research it urself then to jus throw it in there nd have a wipeout
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Used it before, in my aquariums. Went through a year of trouble trying to find out wut was wrong with my tank, my grandfather works for united water, big water company in the tri state area(NJ) he tested my water nd found toxins, mayb not strong enuff to hurt me if i actually drank it, but deff was strong enough to kill off my fish. Now thats y i told the guy who made the thread to jus do research on the type of teflon he is using, jus to be safe. Nd nah i dont need to google it bcuz this about fish not humans
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

teflon tape..is it safe? - The Reef Tank
Broken pump: Is Teflon tape safe to come in direct contact with water?
Everything Aquatic- Forum Board - Which Teflon tapes are tank-safe and which aren't?
There are some google answers to if teflon tape is safe for aquariums. I know you had issues with what you believe was teflon tape, maybe it was a fluke maybe it wasn't but people have been using it without ill effects for some time.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Let's keep this on topic. I think we've all given our opinions in the matter.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com