Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Plumbing Return Line Qs

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a bit of guidance on redoing the plumbing for my return line. I currently have a fountain pump from the hardware store as my return pump. It's rated at almost 600gph but not sure what it's rated for pumping water to 5ft (the height of my tank). My return is currently plumbed with PVC at 3/4inch with a couple 90degree bends. I'm sure my gph isn't that great with what I have. I've wanted to upgrade my return for awhile now and my drain line from the DT to sump is 1 inch PVC. I've been looking at the Quiet One Pro 4000 return pump. It says it has a max flow rate of just over 1000gph. I think this will be a definite upgrade but am concerned my current 3/4inch pvc isn't enough?

Thoughts?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej1254 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm looking for a bit of guidance on redoing the plumbing for my return line. I currently have a fountain pump from the hardware store as my return pump. It's rated at almost 600gph but not sure what it's rated for pumping water to 5ft (the height of my tank). My return is currently plumbed with PVC at 3/4inch with a couple 90degree bends. I'm sure my gph isn't that great with what I have. I've wanted to upgrade my return for awhile now and my drain line from the DT to sump is 1 inch PVC. I've been looking at the Quiet One Pro 4000 return pump. It says it has a max flow rate of just over 1000gph. I think this will be a definite upgrade but am concerned my current 3/4inch pvc isn't enough?

Thoughts?
Thanks

If you upgrade to that pump I would suggest putting a ball or gate valve on the return line right after the pump. 1" pvc can only handle so much water about 600gph. If your pump moves more water than that you could cause the DT to overflow.

There is a calculator out there that will tell you how much gph you lose for each 90/45 ect.

Hope that helps.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thank you for the information! I have a ball valve on my current setup and will definitely put one on the next.

Any ideas where you may have seen the calculator? I'm going to search now thanks for letting me know about it

Old 02-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank is this?

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Old 02-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It's a 110gal

And thanks for the chart Ziggy. I'm not going to lie..I don't exactly know how to utilize that chart in planning out my new plumbing. I guess that was part of my issue to begin with I kind of just set it up without really considering the best design.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The link I posted above the chart is the calculator I was talking about.

Is this going to be SW?

What rate of turn over were you planning for this tank?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This is for my 110 gal saltwater tank I already have running. I'm looking to replace a pump and plumbing system I believe is inadequate and my current pump actually isn't even rated for SW use. What would you recommend for turn over rate?

Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej1254 View Post
This is for my 110 gal saltwater tank I already have running. I'm looking to replace a pump and plumbing system I believe is inadequate and my current pump actually isn't even rated for SW use. What would you recommend for turn over rate?

Turn over rate is dependent upon the filtration you have. I haven't looked at your thread yet.

When I had my 40b reef setup I was running about 50x (50x40 =2000gph) turn over per hour. That flow did not all come from the return pump however. I had 2 MP10s in the system generating flow. The return pump I used was a Mag5 (500gph) and I had it throttled back. The flow through my sump was about 250gph. I had a skimmer and refugium on the tank so I wanted the water to flow slower through the filtration. I got most of my flow in the display from the MP10s.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well considering the powerheads in the DT I've anywhere between 2000-5000gph of flow totally depending on how I feel about it. I've run it anywhere in that range for long periods of time with success. I really only ever change it just because I want to give the tank something different.

My sump is a pretty simple design. Starts with the filter sock into the first chamber which is the biggest. That chamber has my DIY PVC protein skimmer. Then water overflows the first baffle down about 17 inches deep by 2 inch wide by maybe 12 inch long? I don't know the demotions of a 29gal tank. But that first baffle I just described is packed to the very top with lava rock. Water then flows under a baffle and up through a small chamber with my heater. Then overflows into my refugium. The refugium both enters and exits the top. I have about 3 inches of lava rock at the bottom of that with an airline to the bottom pumping air to create a sponge filter like effect. Then it overflows to the return

Tags
line, plumbing, return line

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com