Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This condition most often is seen in a newly started aquarium, but can also occur in a tank in which there is has been an increase in the nutrients in the water, particularly nitrates and phosphates.

In new tanks, the bloom will dissipate as the nitrogen cycle becomes established and stabilizes. Maybe the act of replacing the clogged polyfill which contained your beneficial bactiera caused the outbreak.

Regular partial water changes and good tank maintenance will usually prevent severe bacterial blooms.

Still the cause of a bacteiral bloom was not the polyfill, I'm not going to argue about but there are certain facts when it comes to these conditions and inadament objects are not included in their causes.

So please don't bash a company on a public website claiming their product caused your issues, especially a product not designed to be used in aquariums initially. Plus this is against the forums rules,

Dealer/Vendor/Retailer and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Members may post only factual, first hand experiences regarding retailers and vendors. Posts containing opinion, second hand information or content deemed to be intentionally defamatory will be removed. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Now hang on. I never bashed the company or it's product. I'm sure it works just fine for its intended purpose. I have no dispute with the company whatsoever. All I wanted to do was pass along some information that I thought might be helpful to others. And this forum is full of threads where people ask for and receive opinions about specific brands. Probably half the threads here are people asking "what's the best [insert product here] for my tank?" or something similar. And those threads are full of people passing along their experience with Brand X, Y, and Z. I fail to see how that is any different from my thread saying, "I tried this and it didn't work". Everything I posted here is firsthand knowledge. I haven't said anything derogatory or inflammatory.

Nor do I think the poly-fil caused a bacteria bloom. The tank does not have a bacteria bloom. It has foggy water that resembles a bacteria bloom. But it is nowhere near as severe as an actual bloom. On top of that, the poly-fil was a very recent addition to an established tank. The tank is fully cycled and had no water issues at all until I added the poly-fil. I added the poly, the water got cloudy.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry to hear you're having issues, however I have used poly-fil before with no problems.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_mommy View Post
Sorry to hear you're having issues, however I have used poly-fil before with no problems.
Maybe there's something about our water that reacts with the poly. Maybe we got a "bad" batch of poly. Or maybe the poly has oxidized while sitting around unused. I don't know what happened. But the tank looks perfect this morning. If it had been a bacteria bloom it would not have disappeared overnight. The problem had to be the poly. That's the only thing that changed in the tank.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Maybe there's something about our water that reacts with the poly. Maybe we got a "bad" batch of poly. Or maybe the poly has oxidized while sitting around unused. I don't know what happened. But the tank looks perfect this morning. If it had been a bacteria bloom it would not have disappeared overnight. The problem had to be the poly. That's the only thing that changed in the tank.
Did you remove or change other media so you could fit the polyfill in? Did you buy regular polyfill or the flame retardant/resistant stuff? I, too, use polyfill regularly in both my tanks and in my pond and have never had any issues.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Did you remove or change other media so you could fit the polyfill in? Did you buy regular polyfill or the flame retardant/resistant stuff? I, too, use polyfill regularly in both my tanks and in my pond and have never had any issues.
Good Point ... I've been using Fairfield Brand Poly-Fill from Michaels arts Crafts for almost 2 years with no issues. The OP mentioned a milky white cloudiness which is consistent with a bacterial bloom. Could the OP have gone through a mini-cycle when the older Poly-fill was swapped out?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Good Point ... I've been using Fairfield Brand Poly-Fill from Michaels arts Crafts for almost 2 years with no issues. The OP mentioned a milky white cloudiness which is consistent with a bacterial bloom. Could the OP have gone through a mini-cycle when the older Poly-fill was swapped out?
I agree that OP went through a mini cycle due to swapping out the poly-fill...I say this because I just swapped out my poly-fill 2 days ago now and I am going through the EXACT same thing...Also OP you can go through a mini cycle and it CLEARS up within 24 hours my tank has done that ...DEPENDS on how much bb you got rid of and how fast it is replenished.....OP glad to hear its clear again for you
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use this on every tank and never had an issue. I never replace it either, i just wash it good and put back.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com