Polyfill vs Filter Socks on Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently using 200micron filter bags on my SW tank and some generic polyfill on my FW tank. The polyfill has done an amazing job for me (considering the cost) in the FW sump and I'm considering switching to it on the SW build. It would require some mods to the sump I have though.

The reason is cost, the dilemma is that I don't see anyone running polyfill on their SW tanks. I'm still cutting filters from the sheet of polyfill I bought months ago at Wal-Mart for $6 but my $5 a piece filter socks are starting to fall apart after just over a month or two.

I don't think there would be any adverse effects on a SW tank but I'm just wondering why it isn't done more. Is it just because DIY FW tanks are usually done on such a small budget? Is it just a trend? I know some people don't even run mechanical filtration on the SW so I'm just asking for some opinions before I order more filter socks.

I think the polyfil will get soiled alot quicker than the socks will. I use the polyfill in my fw tanks sometimes as well. It does polish the water up really well but when its cleanout time the polyfill is discusting.

Have you tried the mesh filter socks instead of the felt ones? BRS sells them for like $5 a piece. They don't nearly clog up as quickly and are pretty easy to clean.

It really is nasty when you switch it out, but isn't that because it's doing it job well? Again, the bags are $5 a piece, how long do they last you and how often are you switching them out. I bought 4 socks and I switch them out every other day and try to wash them on the weekend. A huge roll of polyfill is about $6.

I have about 12 socks in total, I change out the one in my 125g like every 3 or 4 days. The 90g can go almost 2 weeks without a new one. I am using felt ones too, not the mesh. I just fill a bucket with used socks and then wash them in the washing machine on super hot, double rinse with steam cleaning.

You should be able to get more than a day on a sock, how dirty are they when they come out of the washer? I used to wash them by hand with a $3 home depot hose conenctor that doubles as a "power washer" head and they came out much cleaner than the washing machine.

meh... they aren't really nasty but I'm trying to get my phosphates down as quick as possible and I figure taking them out soon er than later would help the skimmer's effort. I don't know if it's directly effecting my progress but I'm don't almost .2 more than where I was. It can't be hurting. The socks aren't getting destroyed to where they aren't reusable but I'm just thinking down the road. I just have the 4 and run them in the washing machine with a drop of bleach and double rinse them. Seems to be working thus far.

I just figure there is no hurt in questioning the norm :)

Totally understand. :)

I do that too, plan and ask for the future. Not a bad habit to be in with saltwater! LOL

Hondatek said:
I use 99 cent filter media bags as filter socks. I just put new ones up every week.

I just started this today, I had an extra one laying around. How's it work? I'm afraid of a nitrate factory.
Supra

Your changing them every week so unless your overfeeding a lot the trates aren't really going to build up. And hey they are 99 cents so even if you had issues and needed to change twice a week it's no big deal. I haven't had issues at all .

Hondatek said:
Your changing them every week so unless your overfeeding a lot the trates aren't really going to build up. And hey they are 99 cents so even if you had issues and needed to change twice a week it's no big deal. I haven't had issues at all .

Let me rephrase the question how does it work for filtering? I don't like socks because the nitrate.

It just catches the large particles . It doesn't really polish the water any. Care a lot has them.

Back
Top Bottom