Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

pond UV sterilizer in aquarium?

The garden center where I work is clearing out a lot of old stock, including a Laguna UV sterilizer/clarifier. It's an 8watt system, and is designed "for ponds up to 1000 gallons".
Amazon.com: Laguna Powerclear 1000 UV Sterilizer 8W Ponds Up To 1000 Gallons - Laguna PT520: Everything Else: Reviews, Prices & more

My question is would this set up be adaptable to an aquarium situation?
I know I would need to either get another pump to push the flow through it, or, alternatively, buy a canister filter and attach it to that.

I can get this thing for about $50, but maybe with the expense of being able to adapt it for aquarium use I'd be better getting one designed for aquariums?
AFIK there wouldn't be such a thing as "too much" UV light, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you need the UV sterilizer? They're a waste in most situations.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I'm dealing with green water in my current little 10g.
I'm also going to be getting 55 at some point in the near future from a friend of mine, and figure I can put a stop to the problem before it even starts in that one.
I do know that there are underlying reasons for green water in the first place, which should be resolved instead of using "band aids", but some other people seem to be of the opinion that UV lights are a godsend.
Why do you say they're a waste? Is it because other remedies can be used in most sitiations, or you just don't think they work? Or some other reason?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard some people swear by their UV sterilizers, but I don't consider them necessary. They're pretty expensive and the bulbs aren't effective for very long and are expensive to replace.

A good design will work, but many sterilizers don't expose the water to the UV light long enough to be effective. I have heard the TurboTwist UV sterilizers work better than most.

I prefer to find a cheaper alternative fix and spend the money elsewhere.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You would need to get a canister filter to work that particular UV sterilizer. Or purchase a submersible pump, but it won't be attractive being on top of your tank. A lot of plant/reef aquariums have UV sterilizers on them.

Mangroves/Oak Tree branches will also cure your green water.

Tags
pond, uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com