Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Pool filter sand, the good, bad, and ugly.

Anyone with experience with pool filter sand: please share it here.
-What type did you use?
-Where did you get it?
-How did you clean it?
-How long did it take?
-What type of setup was it in (planted, cichlid, reef, etc.)?
-Have you had any problems with it? This would be anything like cloudiness in the water, brown algae, compaction, pockets of black that smell like rotten eggs, etc.
Any pictures are appreciated.
If you have a silicate test kit, what is the reading? Before and after adding the sand?

Thanks to anyone who contributes in advance.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
This is a great article about silica sand.

Feature Article: Silica In Reef Aquariums — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
"Is it OK to use silica sand? Probably. Many people do so. I also believe that not all “silica “ sands will be the same for the reasons described above relating to processing of the sand and the nature of the mineral inclusions present. So the fact that many people successfully use some (or many) types of silica sand does not necessarily imply that all people can use any type of “silica” sand without a problem."

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Anyone with experience with pool filter sand: please share it here.
-What type did you use? Leslies ($9/50lb), Meijer's brand ($1.99/50lb)
-Where did you get it? above
-How did you clean it? Most of it I either didn't clean, or rinsed in the tank as I was setting it up. Some I rinsed in buckets by putting the hose in the bottom and waiting until it was perfectly clear
-How long did it take? No time - 15 mins?
-What type of setup was it in (planted, cichlid, reef, etc.)?Mbuna and planted
-Have you had any problems with it? This would be anything like cloudiness in the water, brown algae, compaction, pockets of black that smell like rotten eggs, etc.? No. Never once had any issues with diatoms... compaction clearly isn't an issue with any of the PFS I've used... too coarse. No 'stank tank syndrome', even with 4" deep bed. No cloudiness, even when not rinsed.
Any pictures are appreciated.
If you have a silicate test kit, what is the reading? Before and after adding the sand? Don't have one... don't really care to know since there aren't any issues.

Thanks to anyone who contributes in advance.

Pics (These are all tanks I currently have going, or tanks that I have had in the past):

150g planted (PFS layered over miracle gro potting soil):

29g planted (PFS layered over miracle gro potting soil):

40 breeder planted:

125g planted:

150g mbuna (sand looks much whiter in the pic than reality... guess the lighting along with my horrid camera skills make it look white):

For the record, I don't use PFS because I can't afford any other substrates. Heck, I have spent over $2500 on my 40b and 125g planted tanks since february. I have switched from PFS to flourite and floramax in my 40b, but that wasn't because I didn't like the sand...it was because I wanted something darker.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, pool, pool filter sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com