Pool sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua_Omega

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard that u can use pool sand in your tank ,ivwanns go from rock to sand will use the pool sand if its safe for my fish,can anyone one give me info on this seeing that I want to get it today and start the changes,thank you

I heard that u can use pool sand in your tank ,ivwanns go from rock to sand will use the pool sand if its safe for my fish,can anyone one give me info on this seeing that I want to get it today and start the changes,thank you
Yeah pool filter sand is fine. Many people on here use it. The one tip i can give you is to wash, wash, wash and when you think it's clean, wash it again!!!. Get a bucket and 1/3 fill with the sand. If you have access to a garden hose use this. Give the sand a good blast with the hose and give it a good stir. Repeat this over and over, until the water runs clear. The more you do this now, the cleaner the sand will be and not cloud your tank. It is a bit of a pain but the better you do this at this stage the better and clearer your water will look... When you refill your tank, put a dinner plate/saucer/bowl in the the tank, ans pour the water onto this and it will prevent turbulence and cloudy...
This process cleans the sand of dust and dirt. It also removes any light, floaty sand which will cause clouding... Happy Washing!!!!
PS... You WILL loose some of the sand, maybe 1/4 of the total, so get more than you need. I always have some spare sand in a bucket in my garage....

Yeah pool filter sand is fine. Many people on here use it. The one tip i can give you is to wash, wash, wash and when you think it's clean, wash it again!!!. Get a bucket and 1/3 fill with the sand. If you have access to a garden hose use this. Give the sand a good blast with the hose and give it a good stir. Repeat this over and over, until the water runs clear. The more you do this now, the cleaner the sand will be and not cloud your tank. It is a bit of a pain but the better you do this at this stage the better and clearer your water will look... When you refill your tank, put a dinner plate/saucer/bowl in the the tank, ans pour the water onto this and it will prevent turbulence and cloudy...
This process cleans the sand of dust and dirt. It also removes any light, floaty sand which will cause clouding... Happy Washing!!!!
PS... You WILL loose some of the sand, maybe 1/4 of the total, so get more than you need. I always have some spare sand in a bucket in my garage....

Thank u so much , now i also have a couple of question if you don't mind ,wats the best sand to get , what grade cause some sand seem very powdery and I have a 125g tank so I'm wondering how many pounds do u suggest i get? ....p.s thanks again about the washing and dinner plate,great detailed info

I have a 55 gallon tank and I used 2 50lb bags and I think it's plenty..... Also like Ian said, make sure you rince what ever sand you get really well! I put one whole bag in a 5g bucket and propped up one edge of tge bucket and pushed the garden hose in and out for about 10 mins. Until the water ran clear or until all the sand that got disturbed on top settled fairly quick. But IMO sand is deff the way to go!

Sorry I forgot to attach the pic.....

Attachments

• image-2262202326.jpg
    image-2262202326.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 216
  • image-2400449478.jpg
    image-2400449478.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 181
  • image-2326394147.jpg
    image-2326394147.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 167
I have a 55 gallon tank and I used 2 50lb bags and I think it's plenty..... Also like Ian said, make sure you rince what ever sand you get really well! I put one whole bag in a 5g bucket and propped up one edge of tge bucket and pushed the garden hose in and out for about 10 mins. Until the water ran clear or until all the sand that got disturbed on top settled fairly quick. But IMO sand is deff the way to go!
Thanks ff.rice, i was just trying to work it out but you answered for me!!!. The grade you want/need is really a personal preference. I wouldn't go too powdery(?) for obvious reasons. The amount you get/need depends on the depth of sand you want in your tank. If your budget allows it, get plenty and you can decide the depth as you go. I would go with 4 50lb bags and see how it goes. I used kids play sand in mine....

I used half a 50 lb bag for my 20 gallon. I used Quikrete Pool Filter sand. I couldn't find the courseness on the bag but it was labeled No. 1153 if that helps. I was sooo nervous when rinsing it because it looked really dark but it wasn't dark when it was in the tank. Just when rinsing so don't panic if its not the light sand color when wet if that's what you want. Mine looked like play sand but kinda gray. Worrisome! Rinsing for me was a pain. Took forever but am 100 percent happy with it. Good luck!

Last edited:
I used half a 50 lb bag for my 20 gallon. I used Quikrete Pool Filter sand. I couldn't find the courseness on the bag but it was labeled No. 1153 if that helps. I was sooo nervous when rinsing it because it looked really dark but it wasn't dark when it was in the tank. Just when rinsing so don't panic if its not the light sand color when wet if that's what you want. Mine looked like play sand but kinda gray. Worrisome! Rinsing for me was a pain. Took forever but am 100 percent happy with it. Good luck!
Yeah i'm washing some(Play Sand) for a 15g, as we speak, literally. I hate it but as Malisa said, the end results are worth it....

Thanks,yeah I think sand is wat I'm going to do

What is the benift of sand over pebble rock in a freshwater tank ?

What is the benift of sand over pebble rock in a freshwater tank ?
I find sand much easier to keep clean. Everything sits on the top and can be easily vac out. Gravel hides so much, no matter how much you vac it. If you have ever stripped down a gravel tank, you'll know what i mean!!!!

I find sand much easier to keep clean. Everything sits on the top and can be easily vac out. Gravel hides so much, no matter how much you vac it. If you have ever stripped down a gravel tank, you'll know what i mean!!!!

MUCH easier to keep clean.... And I'm sure there's some pricy sand out there, but for the most part the sand is a lot cheaper than the gravel!

Back
Top Bottom