Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Possible aquarium stand???

I ordered this cart from Overstock in the hopes of putting a Marineland System 12 on it. Max load for cart is 150#. They don't know top shelf load.
12x8=96# + aquarium weight 10# + Eco complete substrate aprox. 20# = minimum 126#

Any carpenter aquarists?

Do you think it's going to be ok or should I not chance it?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393262875.162141.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	224544

Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, if I do chance it, should I leave the casters off?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would personally chance it without the castors. You cold always weight test it with some free weights if you have a home gym or if you weigh around 150 do a "sit test" . Archaic I know but whatever works.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you so much for answering! The cart just arrived. I rethought my situation and realized if the new aquarium fits on my kitchen counter, I could put the big one on the kitchen counter and my little evolve2 on the cart.

My counters are about 40yr old particle board with the old laminate ( Formica ? ) top. Do you think that would be safe or do you think my counter top might break and sag?

I'm in a dated condo and have few outlets except in the kitchen. I could give up my front room hallway buffet table and buy a real stand if I really had to. What do you think I should do?

Unfortunately, I have only 1 working outlet on that wall. And, I'm not sure if it's on the air conditioner circuit. I would have to test.

I miss my hubby so bad right now. He was so smart and he always made fun of my ideas. I gained 50# after he died, so I'm now 200#. My mom is 130#. I can just hear him saying, " yeah, let's get your mom out of her walker and have her sit on the cart." And, then he'd make all kinds of funny gestures. I was a very lucky woman to have had such a great guy to depend on and advise me and make me laugh. I'm kind of a scared little fat kitten without him to advise me. So, I'm very grateful for all help and suggestions.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMonk86 View Post
My counters are about 40yr old particle board with the old laminate ( Formica ? ) top. Do you think that would be safe or do you think my counter top might break and sag
My housr was built in the 40's and I have a bar that if you lean on it leans and wobbles a bit. I have a 20g tank sitting on it with no problems for 6months do far
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow! I'd be afraid. So, I guess, I'm safe with the kitchen cabinets. Thanks! Tonight or tomorrow night, I'm going to be putting that cart together. I think I'll decide after I look at the components. It said it was rubber wood.

Tags
aquarium, aquarium stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com