Possible New Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

I have a chance to purchase an already up and running setup at a LFS. This was a setup that a prior customer ordered, then unfortunately got sick and had to pass up. I don't know everything that comes (like the sizes and such) but all for 550:

90 Gallon RR tank
Stand (looks like an old coffee table, but very solid)
Custom 2 part sump to fit in the stand
UV light in the sump
Skimmer rated for 125 gallons
Sun Dial 4 bulb T5 light with 2 build in timers

Basically everything is currently up and running and the LFS is using it as a display tank. I would get the sand but no rocks. It has a 2-3" sand bed now. I may not keep the sand, just a couple scoops of it to seed a new sand bed.

I think it is one heck of a deal for 550. The lights alone are in the 400-450 range. The only thing I'm concerned with are T5 lights on a 90 tank that is deep. I do have some other Current USA T5 (2 bulb) lights that I can also add to this tank as there will be plenty of room up top. At some point I will want to add corals to the tank but be fish only to start.

Comments? Run and buy it now? That may happen by 3 PM today anyway because I really don't want to loose it. Also, the store is willing to keep it for me for at least a couple months while I buy a new house. Basically I pay 100% for it now and they keep using it as a display tank until I'm ready. I know the owner of the store pretty well and know they aren't going anywhere (they also used to own a dog park and one of my dogs was in their adds).

Thanks!

Sounds like a deal to me. You could always use the extra money you would have spent buying new to upgrade lighting if needed.

Well... after this 550 I will still have about 600 in rocks to purchase (sigh). I wasn't planning on all this as I only had 1k budgeted, but think this is a good deal that would be bad to miss.

That is a pretty good deal.

About the lights (and the rock for that matter) it really depends on what you plan to do with the tank. FO, FOWLR, Reef?

At first FOWLR but I would want to quickly move into reef. Also looking for a non-aggressive tank.

Well I did it! Not only did I purchase the new tank but I purchased a house to put it in! Yep, the wife and I were bidding on our first house (yea, no more apartment!) and we had the winning bid. Solid concrete foundation for the new tank!

It was really funny, ever house we went into to look at I would always say "And the tank would be great right there!" lol

Back
Top Bottom