Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Possible new tank--weird size, thoughts please

Hi all. First time poster long time lurker.

I have an opportunity to get a new tank, but a weird size of 40"x 10.5"x 20" which is about 39 gallons.

I;m concerned about the width (10.5").

Would I be able to use a tank like this for small GBR's (first choice) or apisto;s with tetras and cories.

I kind of like the size but am worried about the width.

This tank would never hold large fish....dont want them.

Any problems in stocking the following in this tank;

2 pairs of gbr

8 emperor tetra;s or 8 rummy nose

6 cory cats..type to be determined by higher temp needed for rams.

Heavily planted with wisteria and green cabomba with caves and driftwood.

With this stocking list, can I get away with HOB filters or is my bio load too much and require a smaller canister? I prefer hob;s. Less chance of flooding issues. I am away just about every weekend.

P.S. would this be classified a breeder tank or a grow out tank, or just a weird size?

Please advise.

Thanks for all your input,

Dan

Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi & welcome to AA!

That is definitely not a breeder tank. A breeder tank is normally shallow & wide, so are grow-out tanks. This one is narrow & tall, prob a custom job to fit a small space.

This is not the ideal tank for plants. The depth makes it difficult to light & the narrow width makes it difficult to scape ... your big 16-18" background plant is going to be touching the front .... A narrow & deep tank is going be a bit of a pain to clean as well.

I think the small fish you are planning should be OK. This tank is basically a 10 gal in width, so you need to find fish that will be comfy in a 10.

I am not sure why you find canister a flood risk. Properly set up, a good canister is more reliable than a HOB, and less maintenance to boot. I would go for a small canister just because of the tank depth. <And use a spray bar vertically to get at the tank bottom.> HOB's might not have enough oomph to circulate water from the depths of the tank to the top.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #3

Hi jsoong. Appreciate the reply.

I agree that the width would make having plants difficult.
Regarding the cannister, I haeard too many people complain about leaking seals and coming home to find a flood.

Regarding the tank, its a kit I saw at our walmart. Good luck finding a stand to fit it as well.

Guess I keep looking.

Dan
Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

welcome to AA . you may have to make a stand for that one
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA I've never heard anything bad about canisters, and love the two i have on my 150g. Sumps can cause floods if not properly set up, maybe cheap canisters, but a nice canister like a rena xp or fluval will not pose a risk if properly set up (not hard at all )... That being said, a small tank like yours would be fine with a nice HOB like an aquaclear50, but like jsoong stated, a canister would be better (and are always better imo)... check out the fluval 305, that would be a great filter for your tank and would give you very good filtration

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I've never had a leak when I ran my canister, even with seals 10 years old. I suppose there are always bad ones on the market, but a good quality canister is very reliable.

That is a weird size for a walmart tank ... I would pass on it personally. A non-standard size tank means you have to have custom make stands & canopy, which might just cost you more in the long run.

For a planted tank, a wider tank (front to back) is definitely a plus. I would go for at least 18". That would mean a 30 or 40 gal breeder for a 3 foot tank, & a 65 or 75 gal for a 4 foot tank.

Since you are into planted, you will need to have upgraded light. 4 foot light systems are generally less costly than other size, so that might be a consideration. <For that 40" tank, you will have to have a custom made canopy to grow plants.>
Old 03-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

Guess I;ll hold out for the standard 55

Tags
tan, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com